• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does my shrimp have parasitic nematode? (VIDEO)

t.doyle

Hi all,
Not sure if in right section, I brought a 'blue shrimp' back with me today and noticed some little wiggley worm things on its underside at the base of its legs, they seem attached. Is it part of the shrimp? I seem to think it's some sort of nematode... They are brown in colouration, about 4 of them.

I've tried to show them on this video.... It's the shrimp on the bottom. You can see these worms best at 0:28 ish. You need to watch it in 1080p to be able to see them properly. The wiggly bit of concern is above and left slightly of the bubble below the bottom shrimp....

Should I be concerned about this? Anyone have any experience in this? Am I just being silly?

Please, any input is much appreciated!

I don't know what that is but... Eeeww! Well done for spotting that.

I dread having anything attached to my little beauties other than eggs.:) I haven't been able to look at your clip, but I watching waitingfor someone who knows to answer your question. Fingers crossed what ever it is is ok or treatable.

Yeah its pretty gross. I don't think I'm adding him to the tank as I'm just too worried that it'll spread to all my other shrimp or fish!

I dread having anything attached to my little beauties other than eggs.:) I haven't been able to look at your clip, but I watching waitingfor someone who knows to answer your question. Fingers crossed what ever it is is ok or treatable.
Does the link not work?

I don't know mate sorry I'm being I mizer, I must be nearly at the end of my gb of data and I have a lot more rubbish to post tonight:D

Looks like planaria!! You can use panacur to kill them, usually kills them all in 24 hours

I would keep that shrimp separate from the rest, might not stand a chance that one!
Panacur, not heard of it.. Is it safe to treat with shrimp? It seems my problem that most anti-crustacean treatments will harm the shrimp.

It's pet wormer mate I may have an equivalent you can have if you make a small donation to ukaps? I can post tomorrow? I had planaria in our last set up.

Panacur, not heard of it.. Is it safe to treat with shrimp? It seems my problem that most anti-crustacean treatments will harm the shrimp.
Any Vet will stock it in liquid or pill form, I tend to use liquid 0.1ml per 10 liters, but you can crush a pill and dump the powder in the tank.

Thanks for your replies. Kirk - I'll poke my head into the vets tomorrow but if I can't find any I'll take you up on your offer. These planaria are definitely attached to the shrimp. They seem to have their 'head' stuck between the exo skeleton plates of the shrimp..

The only thing that strikes me is that these planaria on the shrimp are brown rather than white. Can planaria be brown?

Hi all,
Due to the movement I think it's a leech(es), rather than Planaria (they look similar, but Leeches loop and Planaria glide). Pancur doesn't work on leeches, and I'm not sure what does, but I suspect some of the shrimp forums will have an answer.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Due to the movement I think it's a leech(es), rather than Planaria (they look similar, but Leeches loop and Planaria glide). Pancur doesn't work on leeches, and I'm not sure what does, but I suspect some of the shrimp forums will have an answer.

Cheers Darrel
It could well be a leech, looking at others who have experienced them... It seems panacur or similar knocks them out also.

Think it'll take quite a dose to hit leeches. They don't seem to even notice the normal 1ml/50l dosage of the oral solution.

Wonder if manual removal might be possible?

Yeah, using the 'brick' method :lol:

Well done spotting it, this kinda makes me a bit paranoid now about buying/obtaining shrimp/fish. Where did you get your shrimp, a friend or shrimp retailer? (Don't mention where from if retail, just curious !)

How did you even notice that, I had to watch the video a few times to even see it.

I'm not sure If I can post a link from another forum, but I tried to Google it for you, and the closest I found was this guys blue shrimp.

I had to link the cache page as it don't load well, http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dlcasrxVR_wJ:www.crustaforum.com/board/showthread.php?307-Shrimp-leech &cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Maybe a mod can delete that If we ain't allowed to link forums, and in his thread he links this youtube video.

I noticed yours is brown and not white, but maybe its similar, I'm not an expert, but he seemed to get his to drop off the shrimp by his tap water, looks even more scary when it drops off lol... especially in that video. I personally wouldn't want to put my hand in a tank with one of them around :lol: but dam I'd want to kill it before it finds what its looking for!

Last edited:
How did you even notice that, I had to watch the video a few times to even see it.

I'm not sure If I can post a link from another forum, but I tried to Google it for you, and the closest I found was this guys blue shrimp.

I had to link the cache page as it don't load well, http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dlcasrxVR_wJ:www.crustaforum.com/board/showthread.php?307-Shrimp-leech &cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Maybe a mod can delete that If we ain't allowed to link forums, and in his thread he links this youtube video.

I noticed yours is brown and not white, but maybe its similar, I'm not an expert, but he seemed to get his to drop off the shrimp by his tap water, looks even more scary when it drops off lol... especially in that video. I personally wouldn't want to put my hand in a tank with one of them around :lol: but dam I'd want to kill it before it finds what its looking for!

Yes I'd say mine looks very similar but have not seen it move around like that off the shrimp. I did see that guys post and wondered how tap water killed it off...

Back