• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does my shrimp have parasitic nematode? (VIDEO)

Well done spotting it, this kinda makes me a bit paranoid now about buying/obtaining shrimp/fish. Where did you get your shrimp, a friend or shrimp retailer? (Don't mention where from if retail, just curious !)
From a retail shop

Think it'll take quite a dose to hit leeches. They don't seem to even notice the normal 1ml/50l dosage of the oral solution.

Wonder if manual removal might be possible?
I tried picking them off with five tweezers but it seems when I get near they disappear... Is gen-chem no planaria made of the same stuff as panacur do you know? (Fenbendazole)

I googled leeches and chlorine, it seems they are sensitive to chlorine and other things in tap water. So I would say chlorine probably kills them and that's how the other guy managed to kill them. I don't know what to do from here, but I guess someone who knows what there talking about will let you know. But if you can learn about leeches then maybe your have a chance to learn what kills them with out harming your shrimp. I definitely got a lot of results backs saying they hate chlorine.

No Planaria appears to be a herbal extract and on another search it said betal nut palm extract! Highly unlikely to be fenbendazole which is a well used dog/cat/horse wormer. I do hope you find out what it is and manage to get rid without destroying the shrimp

I might try a dose of chloramine-T, that stuff stinks of chlorine and is used for internal bacteria in fish. I don't think the shrimp in my tank liked it that much last time I added it...

Hi all,
Leeches can be a lot of different colours, I usually (always?) have some in the tanks, and they range from white and translucent through to pink and brown. They don't attach to the fish, but they definitely scavenge live fish eggs etc.

I've never tried to treat mine (I have Blackworms (also Annelids) in the sand), but I have some bits of flat ceramic tile on the substrate that I pick up every few days and dispose of the leeches that have clustered underneath.

Leeches are Annelid worms (Annelida, Hirundea), so they are closely related to Earth worms etc, but only distantly related to Planaria, Tapeworms or Nematodes.

A link here:
<http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=337514&highlight=snails+leeches>.

Cheers Darrel

Yeah I have used Chloramine T for my pond a few times as a precaution.

However as your dealing with a shrimp I would probably wait and see what an expert has to say, as I have not much experience with shrimp and there obviously really sensitive so it might kill your shrimp as well.
Even salt is meant to be good for killing leeches, so I guess its about finding that level / dose which the shrimp would survive and the leech wouldn't.

But as shrimp are so sensitive, the possibility might be that the shrimp is more sensitive than the leech. So I'm not sure what the best approach is. Sorry.

Surely if it was a leech it would feed and then drop off? I have an outdoor tank that has plants and snails etc and leeches appeared in there so either the

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

They may have arrived as eggs on pond plants I bought.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Back