• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Running 24wt in a 39wt t5 starter unit?

Thom_Hardy

I know this may be stupid, but i have a 39wt t5 starter unit but the bulbs won't fit in my tank! Can I run 24wt bulbs with it or is there any t5 bulbs that will fit in a 800mm length tank with this starter unit?

Apologies with the stupidity of this question, I've only just joined UKAPS and although I have been keeping fish for 10 years, this is my first planted tank!

Thanks
Thom

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Can I run 24wt bulbs with it
Nope, you will burn the tubes out, as they are being overdriven. A 39W T5 starter is designed to power 39W tubes.

You could try (though life will be shorter) Juwel length 35W T5 tubes, these are 740mm, though these are HO tubes already and might not take to be driven even harder.

Thanks ian, i assumed as much! i got the starter unit for £7 off ebay, so im not that fussed, although he did advertise it as "24/39 watt starter unit" i now know it is in fact a 39 wt ONLY unit!

oh well, guess i'll HAVE to get a bigger tank! :angelic:

Back