• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED DIY wiring help

Mortis

In my led build each driver will have 2 parallel strings of 10 LEDs each since the driver output is 1300ma and LEDs ate 700ma max
I just wanted to check one bit of the wiring. The point where the single +ve of the driver splits into 2 +ves, one for each string as well as where the 2 -ves converge to the singe wire of the driver.
They are normal twisty wire joints right ? Just twist the 3 stripped wires together for the +ve and insulate and the same for the -ve ?
I don't need anything else to make the split right ? Someone told me that I need to add a resistor there or something but my research shows that I don't need it if the strings are balanced and each +ve has a fuse anyway.
Thanks

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician so please get what I am about to say confirmed before going ahead.

When you say insulate do you mean earth? Plugging the insulate into a live point is not a good idea as the whole component will become live and until you touch it and you go zap. There should be an earthing point on the driver, might just be a screw it might be another point.

Plugging the two wires +ve wires into the +ve point and the two -ve wire into the -ve point will run the LEDs in parallel, However you need to make sure you calculations are right to stop your LEDs from going pop, hence were the resistors come in. It's been a long time since I did anything to do with LEDs and that wasn't wiring them up to the mains but through DC circuits, so I'm a little fuzzy on my theory.

Hope you get your answer.

Hi thanks for the reply. By insulate I meant wrap with electrical tape or heatshrink tubing. :D

Back