• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Need to Alter the way I inject CO2

Bertie

Hi,
At the moment I am using 2 x large Bazooka Atomizers in my 180L tank. I find that I am using a 2kg FE every 7 weeks and I want to try and reduce this cost if I can by a more efficient injection of the co2.

I have suddenly had reason to think that the cost may become too prohibitive at this rate.

I have 16/22 Inline atomizers but as my hose size is 25/18 I cannot simply connect them up. I have been unable to find reducing Y connectors or even straight reducing connectors. I have found and tried connecting via reducing T connectors, but that did not seem to work very well. Although I may have to try that again if I cannot resolve the problem.

I did try injecting directly to the APS filter but that caused large and frequent burps of co2 injecting all at once and lots of noise from the filter housing.

All this ,after I have my plants and tank thriving ;). If I cannot resolve this I may have to try and reduce/stop co2 injection and just add liquid carbon but I have a feeling that will cause all sorts of problems.

Any advice on how to overcome this would be welcome.

Thanks Paulus but the problem I have is that my hose is 25mm OD and 18mm ID and I cannot find any hose reducers to be able to connect.

I have managed to fit my hosing over the threaded ends of the inline diffuser (where the plastic securing nuts would go) and will try it tomorrow to see if it causes any major problems. I do not feel sufficiently able to make a diy reactor. I am a bit more than useless when it comes to diy ;)

I do not feel sufficiently able to make a diy reactor. I am a bit more than useless when it comes to diy

Bertie! DIY reactors are very easy to build, and very efficient too. All you need to do is cut a length of pipe, and then glue the connectors together using plastic weld. It really is that easy. As ed was saying there is a couple of good tutorials in the DIY section. Give it a go mate, it sounds like this maybe the solution for you.[DOUBLEPOST=1395416412][/DOUBLEPOST]Whats the internal diameter of your filter hose? I have a reactor kicking about in my shed, i think the hose connectors are 19mm.

What about making your own reactor say using a 10" water filter housing. They are available with 3/4" inlets (19mm). Look on this forum, you need a "coke" bottle and ceramic diffuser and silicone to seal it all up. Go to a plumbers merchant to get 3/4" to hose tail adapter (+jubilee clips).

I get over 100days from 2Kg into 180litres using an UP inline diffuser.

Also you don't need to do the CO2 injection bit using your filter pipes. One of my local fish shops had their CO2 injection on a separate pumped loop. They has a 12mm inlet in the tank to a 12mm Eheim pump, to a 12mm UP diffuser and back into the tank via a "beak" outlet venting out near the main filters spray bar. Didn't appear to have any CO2 distribution issues.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/high-flow-diy-reactor-now-with-video.23337/

Hi, the internal diameter is 18mm.

I have a reactor that i built a little while ago, it has 19mm barbed connectors. It should fit your hose no problems. Its a big unit at about 50cm long, but it was very efficient when i was using it. I remember being able to reduce my bubble rate by a couple of bps. Your more than welcome to have it if you pay the postage.

I have a reactor that i built a little while ago, it has 19mm barbed connectors. It should fit your hose no problems. Its a big unit at about 50cm long, but it was very efficient when i was using it. I remember being able to reduce my bubble rate by a couple of bps. Your more than welcome to have it if you pay the postage.
Hi Lee and thanks,
I have pm's you.

Back