• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Alternative to dwarf cichlids

Robbie X

Edit: I have decided to invest in the TMC Signiture tank 60x45x30 (WxDxH) so delated the original tank dimensions that I input at start of thread.

Hi all, could I get some alternatives to dwarf cichlids for the above tank.
I was planning on this list of fish:
Apistogramma cacatuoides (Pair), small shoal of Corydoras panda, shoal of Paracheirodon innesi or Paracheirodon axelrodi, or Celestichthy Margaritatus but after some advice from fellow members have decided to drop the Apistogramma cacatuoides as I'm worried about aggression if they breed in such a small tank.
I would like a similar sized peaceful fish with character and great coloration that ocupies the same swimming planes as the cacatuoides. If there are any alternatives that would also be ok if they bread, then that would be even better.
Robbie

Last edited:
If you would like to have some small great little ciclids this is one to consider :Dicrossus filamentosus.

looking at your other fish, PERSONNALY I would stock to the celestichties, forget the cardinals or the neons, they prefer a bigger tank.

best regards, Maurits

Many thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I like the look of the Dicrossus filamentosus, but I don't have particularly soft water though I always used RO water in my tanks in the past. Dwarf cichlids have such amazing characters its going to be hard to find a replacement. As for the Celestichthy Margaritatus, they will without a dought be a feature in my setup :happy:
The Colisa Lalia may also make an appearance. Please keep the suggestions coming :)

I have now decided to invest in the TMC Signiture tank 60x45x30 (WxDxH). I think this will give me a little more volume to work with.

Back