• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Water changes

CalebWM

Hi guys,
Quick question, i filled up my tank yesterday for the first time, how often should i be doing water changes now and how much?
Thanks

I guess we all have our own way,personally I prefer to do the daily water changes for the first 2-3 weeks before I start to ease off.Especially if starting up a new tank,or using a lot of plants that are in a immersed state.
This method IME really helps avoid algae in the early stages of a tank.

+1 for daily water changes. I'm still doing 50% twice a week three and a half months on. It's easy though if the tank is not too large;).

Fast growing 'real' under water plants will help for sure. They should be cheap and you can also use simple plants from a pond. Just let them float, this also helps to dim the light a little.
Martin - would you let the fast growing plants just float too? I have a large tank that is like a jungle and my new tank is tiny? such an obvious suggestion I hadnt thought of it!

If it's a plant you want to take out later, than yes I would just let them float. Most plants don't take much nutrition through their roots if submersed (even emersed plants are better in up taking nutrition trough their leaves, ask any Fuchsia grower), the roots (mostly) serve as anchor for the plants.

Thanks - now got half an acre of cambombia floating in my tank

Would that be Cabomba Cherry :)? Good move, any stem plants in quantity will quickly help to establish the tank and will cut down the light so as to help with keeping algea at bay.

All this talk of new tanks is starting to give me ideas...:eek:...:arghh:

Harry

like this?:
2012-September-Cabomba.jpg

yes it would Harry :oops: (wonder if I could fuchsia in there? Looks a bit like that Edvet - used to wade through similar in our local river - evidently you can eat it , but have never tried

Just put a little air curtain in there , so fiddling with the flow - havent got one in my big tank so all new to me - cant wait but must be careful not to overstock

When you get your new tank be sure to put pics on!;):D
looking round house to see where I could sneak another one ... but saving for my mega one which will be a while....

Back