• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fry tank basic lighting?

Thrills24

Hey guys...

Here's my situation. I have a juwel 125 with a busted light unit. The 125 is being used as a fry tank but it's in a dark room (garage) so needs a light source. In short, I'm not trying to grow anything just get some illumination to be able to see said fry...

I'm looking for something that will work in conjunction with my 125l hood. Something that I can place underneath it as the wife has a thing about having the tank open and also having the hood in place enables me to keep the tank temp hovering between 24/25C. I'm not looking for an expensive edition, I've checked ebay but they are mostly led which require some electrical know how to assemble.

Any advice?

Hey Maurits

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my Juwel 125 Hood is dead so merely replacing the bulbs will not solve the problem. Also in the description these are meant to substitute t8 and therefore aid in growth and I'm not trying to grow anything. My 125 t5's were 4 years old and so were handy for the job at hand. I'm looking for something simple, low powered and something i can just "plug and play" for want of a better term. I truly appreciate the help so far.

T

I'd just use a cheap idea desk light sat on top or at the side, shame I've just thrown two jewel ballasts and 8 house hold t5 twin light units at the week end away. That said I do have something that may interest you I'll stick a pic up later.;)

;), these retrofits have got their own power source, like you want plug and play, they only thing you use from your juwel light hood are the lamp holders,, so very simple and low powered

they will fit in any t5 length, only thing you need to do is to mount two extra clips in your light hood. end of the year we have a special t5 lamp holder which fits in the t5 holder, so for now a small work around.

dy3ege5a.jpg
mubyta5e.jpg

Cut a hole in a piece of ply and stick it on top? I also have a Boyu clip on led light thats as new, not very bright but you should see you fry ok. What do you think?

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

Is this the type of unit you have that's dead. How good is your electrical knowledge? We may be able to get it working or at least confirm it's shot.
arenydum.jpg
I've sent you a pm too.:) I've littered your thread enough.

Last edited:
I used one tube to replace the back pair in a Trigon 350, tube comes with a number of fittings but I found none suitable to work with the Juwel fitting still in place however as it is waterproof it was easy to attach it to the fitting using plastic ties. If you opt for a tube slightly shorter than the gap between the old ends it would be possible to attach to the old Juwel box using the supplied suckers or clip fittings. I'll try to get a photo uploaded tomorrow.

With apologies computer issues mean I cannot upload any pictures - software on dead computer! Hopefully will be resolved by next week.

Back