• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New setup 3 week on ...

Frenchi

Hi ppl
I started this around 3 week ago and it's starting to look something like now .. I'm no expert in this planted game but I'm determined to have a really nice one .. The grass at the front isn't spreading much but it's growing upwards .. I have just trimmed it along with some stems ... I have just managed to move the rocks that was weighing the root down ..
I'm dosing Ei standard dose but I'm not sure the leaves are green enough any suggestions there???

Anyway this is day one
u4ytavu4.jpg

This is today
a7ezuven.jpg

Please feel free to make suggestions that my help improve

Thanks

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.... I do struggle with moss though it's got algae growing on it again it's every time I try growing moss it never grows .. It maybe bad moss I'm buying I don't know .. Where can I get some easy grow moss??

The moss might be to high up so lots of floating would help alot. Frogbit is one to get

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
It was totally covered in duck weed earlier and I dumped the lot as I thought it wAs cutting out the light and steeling all the nutrients grrr!

It looks very nice, coming on a treat. I love the Crypts:).

Harry

I'm not sure .. I just picked it up from my lfs it never said what it was ... It doesn't look healthy

I have Christmas moss in my lowtech with low gh and kh (rain water i use) but what helps a lot is I have loads of shrimps and they love moss. Post a picture of your moss

It looks very nice, coming on a treat. I love the Crypts:).

Harry
Thanks Harry .. I'm still struggling with plant names ... That's the one in the right hand front corner isn't it ?

I have Christmas moss in my lowtech with low gh and kh (rain water i use) but what helps a lot is I have loads of shrimps and they love moss. Post a picture of your moss

Hope these help

bany5ene.jpg
y5a2a2a9.jpg

I'm not sure of the gh and kh I know the ph is just below 7 now ... My crystal reds are doing well in there anyway :)

ga2uje2u.jpg

By the look of things in your tank you need to increase the CO2 injection. Get the CO2 checker light green to yellow.

By the look of things in your tank you need to increase the CO2 injection. Get the CO2 checker light green to yellow.
I have a bubble every second going in there it's 85 litre .. That's using the jbl defuser ... Maybe I need to change the defuser?

I was just thinking that. you need to get lime green when light comes on. im using the turbo reactor from co2art. work great.
I'll look into that then.. I've had loads of gear off them, karol is very helpful, I'm in the process of trying there new regulator and it is so accurate and easy to adjust .. I'm going to write a little review on that very soon, I just want to get everything running perfect first .. Thanks for your help :)

.. I'm still struggling with plant names ... That's the one in the right hand front corner isn't it ?

The Crypts ( Cryptocoryne) are the little dark green ones you have tucked under the wood, planted in the substrate left centre. Not sure what variety they are but could be same as mine Cryptocoryne Beckettii 'Petchii' . Having them slightly shaded by the wood and plants above them is no bad thing as they do well in shaded areas.

By the way it wouldn't harm, in the early stages to refrain from trimming and let your stem plants grow up and even trail across the surface for the first six weeks or so. It all helps to balance the tank, if you can live with the messy look for that time :) then you can really hit the trimming as you want. But the tank looks really nice:thumbup:

Harry.[DOUBLEPOST=1397119101][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a bubble every second going in there it's 85 litre

I reckon a bubble a second sounds low. I have 3/4 bubbles ps into my 80 ltr through a ceramic 'Bazooka' but as Legytt says the reactor is better still and you may get away with using a little less CO2 by that method.

Harry

Last edited:
Thanks Harry for your input it's much appreciated and I'm going to try what you say for a while and see how it goes :)

Thanks again

I have a bubble every second going in there it's 85 litre .. That's using the jbl defuser ... Maybe I need to change the defuser?

Bubble per second doesn't mean much. What's more important is the flow distribution, dissolve rate and amount of light to CO2 ratio.
If there are signs of CO2 deficiency then the correct course of action is to boost CO2 levels or correct light levels.

I also use JBL bubble counter on 250 Liters of water at about 4 bps 24/7. It never stops.

Bubble per second doesn't mean much. What's more important is the flow distribution, dissolve rate and amount of light to CO2 ratio.
If there are signs of CO2 deficiency then the correct course of action is to boost CO2 levels or correct light levels.

I also use JBL bubble counter on 250 Liters of water at about 4 bps 24/7. It never stops.
Thanks for that .. I've now upped it to a bubble every .80 of a second so I'll monitor that now

Back