• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch Nature style

Love it! Can you please tell us which species are in this last layout? I guess you have less species than before but looks much better... looks now really wild

Here you go:
Epiphytes:
Anubias barteri nana 'petite'
Anubias barteri nana 'white'
Anubias barteri nana 'marbled'
Anubias barteri nana 'wavy'
Anubias barteri nana 'yellow heart'
Anubias barteri 'coffeefolia'
Anubias barteri var. 'glabra' (minima)
Bucephalandra motleyana 'Pancuraji'
Bolbitis heudelotii (2 forms)
Microsorum pteropus 'trident'
Fissidens fontanus

Foreground:
Blyxa japonica
Cryptocoryne x willissi
Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia
Cryptocoryne walkeri
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'petchii'
Cryptocoryne sp. 'Flamingo'
Glossostigma elatinoides
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Marsilea sp.
Staurogyne repens

Stems:
Limnophila aromatica (2 forms)
Limnophila hippuridiodes
Myriophyllum simulans
Persicaria sp. 'Kawagoeanum'
Rotala sp. 'green'
Rotala sp. 'Kramer'
Rotala sp. 'Vietnam'
Rotala sp. 'Yao Yai'
Rotala sp. 'Singapore'
Rotala mexicana 'Goias'
Rotala mexicana 'Araguaia'
Rotala mexicana 'Bangladesh'
Rotala nanjenshan 'colorata'

So over 30 species indeed:facepalm:

wow!!!! Incredible!!!! I thought the epiphyte with narrow leaves was java fern "narrow", but now I see that it is a jungle of other java fern "trident" and some more ferns! Thank you very much for taking your time to write the list

wow!!!! Incredible!!!! I thought the epiphyte with narrow leaves was java fern "narrow", but now I see that it is a jungle of other java fern "trident" and some more ferns! Thank you very much for taking your time to write the list

Yes, I used to keep narrow, but I found it to be too wide. I was thinking about swapping to needle leaf but that gets huge. I don't really like the trident shape, but its barely visible when it takes over the tank and it looks like a small version of needle leaf this way:)

Hi Yo-han,

your set up is great! In your plant species list you say that there are two forms of Limnophila aromatica, I really like this plant but I did not know that different forms can be found. Of course if you find the time to do so, would you mind to upload some pictures showing the main differences? Are them commercialized by different plant nurseries?

Thank you very much in advanced!!
Jose

Thnx! First, all L. aromatica plants previously known to us are probably L. hippuridiodes. The second aromatica form I own turned out to be hippuridiodes as well. The larger one in the back, more red, is the L. aromatica from Tropica. The stems in the front are L. hippuridiodes from Tropica and L. aromatica from Dutch nurseries. The second picture shows an aromatica from an Asian market. So different than the Tropica version (which has 4 leaves per whorl, vs 3 leaves per whorl for the Asian market version)

r5tVSJJ.jpg

Laromaticagreen.jpg

What about small patches of a carpeting plant covering some parts of the sand? I am considering this for my tank as these strict barriers between sand and soil look quite unnatural.

Some rocks tied with moss make good substrate-sand barriers. It's a bit of a pain to trim once it gets bushy, but at least you can remove it from the tank, trim in a small clear plastic container with water, then put it back into the tank.

I realized it's a long time ago I updated this with picture. This is because I'm building a paludarium. My Vietnamese biotope and nano planted tank will be gone, and the fish will be transferred to the paludarium with poison dart frogs in the upper layer. Not interesting for this forum, so here are a few pictures of my new fish and overgrown tank (over a month since the last trim):
Rotala's everywhere (I can't show a front shot right now, it is a mess!): :p
q59mNdd.jpg

The pencils and other fish love it:
0j16vGU.jpg

Bought a couple of ramirezi which already laid eggs in the tank in my lfs:
vbyxzAm.jpg

And bought 5 Dicrossus gladicauda, which are starting to mature, so I hope they are really gladicauda and not filamentosus:
6e0Xr6Q.jpg

And added 15 Hyphessobrycon sp. 'red blue peru' lovely fish, but I don't got any nice pictures yet.

Attachments

• q59mNdd.jpg
    q59mNdd.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 0j16vGU.jpg
    0j16vGU.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 138
  • vbyxzAm.jpg
    vbyxzAm.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 6e0Xr6Q.jpg
    6e0Xr6Q.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 123
Hey Johan I'm very interested in the paludarium. Do you have a journal on another site?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Not much to update, I'm moving end of may, so am very busy and keeping the plants and fish happy, but the plants are overgrown and the sand and soil are all mixed up.

The Dicrossus gladicauda I bought grew up being filamentosus, so a little disappointed but still some lovely fish. I hope all plants and fish survive the move! After I moved, I'll be updating again. I already made the drawing for the new setup. But without an elevator my biggest challenge will be getting the tank (and everything) down (4th floor).

Woah, I don't envy that. I just moved but that was from the 1st floor!! All went well though :) has your paludarium been put on hold too?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Johan. I find in my 5x2x2 (60cm) that i can only just about reach the bottom back of my tank so would be very careful about making a tank higher and deeper. I suppose it depends on how long your arms are - some tall Dutch guys could add an extra 20 cm compared to me lol.

I too dream of a larger tank but would either make it just longer (with 60cm height and width) or make it a lot deeper but not longer and ensure access from both sides so you can get to the back/ middle of your tank. Unless you build tank into the wall and can also reach it from the room behind! The higher the tank the shorter your reach though.

Reactions: tim
Lets say I do make an aquarium like this. The length will be 185cm (length of the wall) and I want a depth of 80-90cm. But what height would you make it if it was yours? 50 will be the minimum, 90 the max...

Id go 50 or 60 max. mine is 100cm front to back and 70cm high and I get soaked plus its hard to reach all areas especially rear centre

Back