• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch Nature style

I agree with Al, you want maximum impact with minimum stress :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi Johan. I find in my 5x2x2 (60cm) that i can only just about reach the bottom back of my tank so would be very careful about making a tank higher and deeper. I suppose it depends on how long your arms are - some tall Dutch guys could add an extra 20 cm compared to me lol.

I too dream of a larger tank but would either make it just longer (with 60cm height and width) or make it a lot deeper but not longer and ensure access from both sides so you can get to the back/ middle of your tank. Unless you build tank into the wall and can also reach it from the room behind! The higher the tank the shorter your reach though.

I'm over 6 foot, with proportional arms:p I now own a 120x60x55 (4x2x2) so I get what you mean;)

Id go 50 or 60 max. mine is 100cm front to back and 70cm high and I get soaked plus its hard to reach all areas especially rear centre

This was my main concern. I was hoping a few people would say the extra height was worth the trouble:p

I'm over 6 foot, with proportional arms:p I now own a 120x60x55 (4x2x2) so I get what you mean;)

This was my main concern. I was hoping a few people would say the extra height was worth the trouble:p
Ha ha. Yes its worth going swimming for

If you want it to be a planted tank it will be hard to reach over 60, mine is 75 high, 80 deep on left side and 120 deep on right side. I can reach first 1/3 easily, midle 1/3 with difficultly and back 1/3 only barely, if i want to realy work there i need diving goggles. And going high tech over 1000 liter isn't easy, you need lots of CO2 and it's not easy to get flow everywhere.

Echo what everyone else has said really. Mines 60 as well and wouldn't want to go any deeper.

You may want to consider the height of the stand as well. Even though I can reach to the bottom, I still have get on tip toes or pull the steps out to realistically reach the bottom. When just stood at the side, when I put my arm in the tank is sort of mid way up my upper arm meaning I only have the depth of my lower arm.

If I'd have realised this when I built the stand, I'd have built to a height were the top of the tank went up into my armpit when standing beside it, so I'd be able to reach freely into the tank without have to get the steps out.

Hope that makes sense o_O

Edit: My tank/stand total height is 143cm. I should have gone for around 131 total height I reckon.

If you want it to be a planted tank it will be hard to reach over 60, mine is 75 high, 80 deep on left side and 120 deep on right side. I can reach first 1/3 easily, midle 1/3 with difficultly and back 1/3 only barely, if i want to realy work there i need diving goggles. And going high tech over 1000 liter isn't easy, you need lots of CO2 and it's not easy to get flow everywhere.

CO2 won't be an issue. I have acces to free 10kg bottles. And I don't reccon flow to be either. 2 X 5000 L/h will tackle that. Maintenance will be the main issue. It won't be accessible from the back. Umzz...

Echo what everyone else has said really. Mines 60 as well and wouldn't want to go any deeper.

You may want to consider the height of the stand as well. Even though I can reach to the bottom, I still have get on tip toes or pull the steps out to realistically reach the bottom. When just stood at the side, when I put my arm in the tank is sort of mid way up my upper arm meaning I only have the depth of my lower arm.

If I'd have realised this when I built the stand, I'd have built to a height were the top of the tank went up into my armpit when standing beside it, so I'd be able to reach freely into the tank without have to get the steps out.

Hope that makes sense o_O

Edit: My tank/stand total height is 143cm. I should have gone for around 131 total height I reckon.

That is exactly what I did with my current tank. It is 135cm, I took my armpit as reference as well:p

I have a 3000 liter pond pump going from sump to tank, a 6000 lit and a 12000 lit Koralia alternating. I have plenty of power but it's hard to get a nice flow everywhere without putting all plants in the middle of a fast flowing river.[DOUBLEPOST=1397561493][/DOUBLEPOST]9689365379_8e417871e3_c.jpg37641454_00005139 by Edvet, on Flickr
I need stairs to reach the bottom front. Sometimes i have to stand in the tank to work at the right side or behind the tank

Last edited:
I have a 3000 liter pond pump going from sump to tank, a 6000 lit and a 12000 lit Koralia alternating. I have plenty of power but it's hard to get a nice flow everywhere without putting all plants in the middle of a fast flowing river.[DOUBLEPOST=1397561493][/DOUBLEPOST]9689365379_8e417871e3_c.jpg37641454_00005139 by Edvet, on Flickr
I need stairs to reach the bottom front. Sometimes i have to stand in the tank to work at the right side or behind the tank

That is exactly what I want! (Except for the colors, I'm sorry to say, but they don't match your interiour:p)

Perhaps the tank should be a little lower (or you're a very small guy). But the general idea is what I love to have as well. Perhaps I need to invite myself when I'm close to Lelystad;)

Hope that makes sense

If you are willing to use a step ladder or something, the height of cabinet becomes less of an issue (but still is a bit of a hassle to pull it out - I keep mine folded up under the sofa next to the tank)
gravelandwood018.jpg

Back