• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

A forest unnamed - Fluval F35

Hey, looks great!! I thought you had packed it in for a bit! Glad to see your still running this one!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Unexpected update. It appears that I have some A. macmasteri fry hanging out in the lower regions of the tank. Stoked!

Excuse the crappy iPhone photos but these little suckers are tiny!

e5e6ege2.jpg

rynuqyqy.jpg

Think there about 6 of them.

Anything I should be doing to ensure they survive? Female is hovering and appears to be guarding them?

Curvball, are you still around? Just about to start an F35 set up and wondered if you had any thoughts or tips on the tank?

Curvball, are you still around? Just about to start an F35 set up and wondered if you had any thoughts or tips on the tank?

Hi, not actively around the scene - but the tank is still going strong. Running complete low tech now with weekly 50% water changes.

Tank is really good straight out of the box to be honest. Really simple and straight forward.

The tank as it is right now (needs a water change...)

9cdbfe1092a7ebe855021d7ec2c233c2.jpg

Looks great to me. I am really looking to setting ours up at Christmas. Seems like hardly anyone has these tanks, especially the F35.

How much sand did you use for the substrate? I have ordered 2.5kg of tetraplant and a 12.5kg bad of unipac sand and plan to bank up towards the pipes like you have. I am hoping thats enough.

What fish stock do you have at the moment?

Oh and another question on filter pipes. Do you ever need to maintain the connection at the bottom of the tank at all? I mean do you have to make allowances in the scape to allow access to the base of those pipes? Hope that makes sense.

Sorry for all the question! Like I say, these tanks seem pretty rare and I haven't spoken to anyone else that has one, so need to pick your brains.

Your amount of substrate sounds pretty good and should work well - I have somewhat of a rock wall that separates the top level and the front areas of the tank, can remember exactly how much substrate I used but your figures sound right.

In terms of the pipes, I've never had to access them so far. The filter maintenance I straight forward due to the stop valves inside the cabinet. The grill on the inlet is removable so nice and easy to clean when doing water changes.

Fish wise at the moment, just 7 sailfin mollies and one otto.

I have the LED unit setup to its highest allowable position and only have a 6 hour photo period - I did run it longer and at it lowest height when I was injecting co2 but the current format with water changes is providing growth of the plants and no algae issues. Basically the tank is completely hands off :)

All round it is a clean simple system that runs very quietly.

Good luck with your tank!

That's great info. I am going to be planting with some easy maintenance plants, and wont be using co2. So you reckon the light fitted at its highest would be best then?

I also read a review that said the cable on the heater wasn't long enough - is that true?

That's great info. I am going to be planting with some easy maintenance plants, and wont be using co2. So you reckon the light fitted at its highest would be best then?

I also read a review that said the cable on the heater wasn't long enough - is that true?

Yes, the little LED provides a good amount of light. You might want to experiment with the height to find a sweet spot for your tank. Another optio and something I did was to put frosted vinyl over the light to reduce the intensity - this worked well too.

No problems with cable lengths of the various bits of equipment - could they be longer, yes, but works just fine as they are now.

Thanks curvball.

Just started building the tank and cabinet, sneakily as its an Xmas present. Fluval put a 206 filter with mine, rather than the 106 which I believe it should have?

There's a couple of parts I have no idea what they are for. Can you have a look and see if you know what they are?

This came in the box with the filter parts and pipework...

20141223_142549_1.jpg

This came in the box with the cabinet. I am thinking its shelf clips for one of the larger fluval fresh models...

20141223_142509_1.jpg

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Back