• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Under sand substrate ?

JazzyJeff

In the next few weeks I will be setting up a 7x2x2 wild discus tank biotope, I will be using BD Aquarium sand as the main substrate, but wanted to add a nutrient rich plant substrate in certain areas to feed a few amazon swords etc, whats the best to use ? Tank wont have CO2 as it will be on a sump and low light ......

John Innes no2. But if you are adding ferts the sword will be ok without tbh

Soil-B&Q Verve food and vegetable planter. I've used it for a year in a shrimp tank so it's perfectly safe. It has no effect on the water hardness whatsoever. In fact water has become softer in my tank over time with the TDS, Gh and Kh lowering considerably. I was puzzled about it when I tested recently. But that's because I didn't do any water changes.
I recommend you add some natural red clay to 5-10% of the soil to the mix. It keeps the water crystal clear and provides extra nutrients such as iron, especially beneficial if sword plants are what you want.

Back