• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Background lights

Omegatron

Hi guys, i always have a black background for my tank but lately im trying without and i like it. For some reason without background it seems to add more depth.

But without background if have this ugly shadow:

ytuma4ud.jpg

I have ambient led so i have some light in the evening but having this on during the day wont remove the shadow.

gejapuqa.jpg

So i was wondering if any know a good/cheap solution. I could try and find a single TL bulb for it but i dont have much space behind the tank and wall (5 cm).

So if you have any good ideas how to solve this then let me know.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tried one? If you have a look at my journal on page one there's no background and shadows like yours, on page two I've got the background on and it's fine. I'm using 1mm thick white opaque plastic clipped on at the top of the tank.

Yeah i tried it, i have a thin background board, 1 side is white the other one i made black. the white side gives more shadow then nothing because the board is keeping the light frm reflecting the wall i think. i dont know how to explain it. ill make a pic when im home and show you. With the white board it makes the background not white but more grey (because of shadow)

Fair enough, I should imagine you'll need a brighter LED strip of some sort then, sorry I can't be of more help. :)

Fair enough, I should imagine you'll need a brighter LED strip of some sort then, sorry I can't be of more help. :)

No worries m8 i appriciate all the help! I think im going to try to get 1 TL light see if it works but and keeping martins fear of algae in mind.

For a far-out idea, what about going EL ?

http://www.surelight.com/EL_parallel_panels.htm

:)

looks awsome but i think it will be expensive and also i would like one with the correct size haha. Does anyone here use this as backlight though?

I've never tried this but I'm always trying to think outside the box. I'm sure someone somewhere has tried this. The next logical step beyond EL paper would be thin film OLED for a background like no other, but currently you'd need to be a billionaire to get a custom fit for your aquarium. Give it time though!

By the way, EL paper can be cut to fit any size !

Back