• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

rio 125 impeller upgrade Eccoflow

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I'm pondering the impeller upgrade on the couple of Rio125's i'm running for a friend but i'm getting a touch confused in regard to the old Bioflow vs new Eccoflow models.

Is it just the old style pumps you can upgrade just the impeller in or also the newer eccoflow models?

Additionally is it only the 600 to 1000 lph models or can I upgrade the 500 to a 1000 lph impeller?

It's going to be a few days before I'm back there to check but i've got a feeling that since they were new last year the type is the eccoflow 500. Which I can't find anyone's account on the web of upgrading.

Thanks,
John

increases the output of the pump without buying a new, bigger pump.

considering the wattage increase on each model, I would surmise that an impeller upgrade would make no difference. you would need to upgrade the whole pump to get a larger LPH flow rate.

I did this. You need to upgrade the whole pump, just the impeller won't work.

It used to be done quite a lot. As far as I understood the impeller "paddle" surface area on the higher rated impellers was larger while the mounting was the same. So it would shift more water per rotation, even thou it was going a touch slower than the full upgrade pump.

Plenty of people have done it over the years with the old Bio flow pumps.

The new Ecco-flow models however I now know are not interchangeable.

...@juwel-aquarium.co.uk>
30 Apr (3 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

to info
cleardot.gif

Dear John

Thank you for your e-mail. Sorry to say the ecco-flow impellers are not interchangeable like the old bio-flow pumps

Yours

but i now know i can still upgrade the pump to the 1000 lph model in the same mount.

Hi John

Thank you for your reply. When the ecco-flow pumps first came out the Rio 125 was supplied with a 600 ecco-flow. It is now supplied with the 500, you could if you wished to do so go up to a 1000 pump but this would be too powerful for most community fish to cope with.

Regards

John

Back