• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What's this wood?

James D

I've got this wood to use in my next scape but I just want one or two extra small pieces. I bought it in a batch of mopani wood but I'm pretty sure it isn't that.... I'd like to know what it is so I can hopefully get the extra pieces to match, I tried a bit of Redmoor but it looks too light.

(There is a small piece of mopani underneath, supporting the main piece btw).

Thanks.

http://s30.postimg.org/3wiiy1uwh/download2.jpg

I saw the pic and thought " Mopani" before I read the text.

It's more branchy than most mopani I have seen. My nice bit of mopani in my 15 gallon is blockier and darker.

I'm not convinced, next to the Mopani it's looks lighter and smoother and I've never seen those longer 'branches' on Mopani either. Not to worry though, once it's covered in moss the redmoor should blend in ok.

The closest wood I've seen online is 'Savannah' but who knows.

Now that I've seen some sumatra wood kicking about it actually looks more like that, but who knows. :D

The best way to distinguish Mopani from bogwood is that mopani is very hard and heavy. It can come with branches (it is a tree after all) though most pieces used for aquarium use tend to be devoid of thinner branches.

Apart from being very hard, heavy and dense, it seldom gives of much in the way of tannins and can usually be washed and used straight away and often sinks straight to the bottom. The smooth surface which is shown in the pics also point to it being more like Mopani than a bogwood which would be soft and require much more soaking.

Back