• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New FinePix S5700 [Amature]

the Guru!

Hi. Complete amature here! just recently got a new Fuji S5700 and have been doin some test shots.

I have been using Auto setting for all of these. Looking for tips on how to get better pictures if possible.. shutter speed, ISO settings etc.

First few pics are of a snail i spotted in my 10g just as i came in from work.

snail1ol9.jpg

snail2xr1.jpg

snail3tw6.jpg

And finally, my algae pearling.. :twisted: :rolleyes:

algaepearlpc6.jpg

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2459

take a look above, great thread...

use the macro button (flower) for close ups, if it is like mine, here is what i do

get the square that is in the middle of the frame, and make sure the object is in the centre of that, then press the shutter button slightly so it focuses, then press fully so it takes the picture,

here is what i did using the above method:

P1090133.jpg

and here it is when i didnt get the stem in the centre of the frame, as you can see it isnt as clear:

P1010340.jpg

I am pretty new myself, you cant beat messing about with the settings!

JamesM has one so he might be able to give you some better tips!

I just shoot on Auto :D

I use Macro and Super Macro a lot too. You can do as Aaron has said, half click the shutter button to get focus, but you can also then pan slightly to the left or right and click fully, so your focus point is offset.

My pics only come alive after some small edits in Photoshop - Its all thanks to Clive's advice - I'm colourblind and find it hard to see what my pics need to make them pop.

I also use a tripod for most shots, and the 2 second timer to avoid any last second shake when clicking the button.

Take a few full tank shots...

the Guru! said:
Looking for tips on how to get better pictures if possible.. shutter speed, ISO settings etc.

I would not use fully auto - Get used to using P or S or M modes, you get more control. Also, I guess that in Auto mode, the camera will select the ISO speed for you (it does on my S9600), that is not always a good thing.

Practise & experiment ! Take 3 or 4 shots of the same subject at different exposure settings - you will then learn which settings give the right results for a particular subject.

Buy some rechargeable NiMh batteries
Read the manual :lol:

Thanks for the comments :)

Just had another play around and suprisingly the snail was back in the same spot! :p

This shot is ALOT clearer then my last ones! imo anyway...

i used
- ISO 100
- Aperture F3.5
- Shutter speed 4? i think that is what the settin is :oops:

snail4fi5.jpg

very nice indeed,

those fuji's are awesome purely for there macro function, i loved mine,

Wich is the higest quality setting?

[7M] F 3
[7M] N 7 Frames
[3] 8
[4M] 13
[2M] 20
[03M] 101

Thanks.

7M - The F3 refers to how many pictures will fit on the internal memory... get yourself a memory card :p

Try some full tank shots too, not just close up pics of snails :D

Ive been taking pictures of everything! and beleive me, you dont want a full tank shot lol *bbbblurrrrrrr*

Back