• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hair algae

Sacha

Yesterday I noticed the beginnings of hair algae growth. It is only a very small amount, mainly on the spray bar, and some on java fern and christmas moss.

I haven't had hair algae in this tank for over a year. And I have not changed anything in the last few months. Flow, lighting, Co2, ferts, bioload, maintenance: everything has remained completely constant.

I do not have excess light, and I have easily enough Co2.

So this led me to think... what caused this sudden appearance?

The only thing that has changed in my tank in the last couple of weeks has been temperature. While the tank typically sits at 24-25 C, the last two weeks it has been sitting at 25.5- 26.5 C. So I started to think- what effect does temperature have on algae growth?

Anyway, it's water change day today, so I will be removing all of the hair I can see. I'm not concerned about it spreading, because it is a pathetic looking amount, and I will easily remove all of it. I am just intrigued to hear people's views on my temperature hypothesis.

Hi Sach,
I've had hair algae come and go. I would only worry about it if it really took hold and was clinging to everything.
Best IMO is to not tamper too much with CO2 and ferts if these have served you well so far but do lots of water changes, perhaps starting with a huge one say 60-65%.

When I have done this, along with removing as much as I can see, the algae usually disappears and doesn't come back for ages if ever. As for Temp. I once had a heater stick on and the temp went through the roof followed by a massive algae outbreak so yes, there could be connection but I seriously doubt 1 deg of temp would make the slightest difference.

I would stick to regular water changes and maybe think about dosing liquid carbon too if it persists.

Harry

Anyone else noticed the general shift from BBA to hair algae type forum threads? I'm thinking there is a seasonal link probably related to longer daylight hours / exposure to sunlight causing photoreduction of iron?? Or maybe this is just the time of year for it's natrual triggers??

On the contrary- I have actually significantly cut back the plants in the last few weeks. The plant mass is about 50% what it used to be!

Back