• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA Mini M (Low Tech) Betta luck this time...

What kind of greenhouse glazing was it? I had 8mm acrylic that warped so would be interested in something better. Been looking at options and polycarbonate looks good.

What kind of greenhouse glazing was it? I had 8mm acrylic that warped so would be interested in something better. Been looking at options and polycarbonate looks good.

Try 4 mm self clean glass , it will reduce condensation :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hava a ada glass top for the tank but like the thought of being able to cut to fit. I can't cut glass a couldn't find anyone to do it for me.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Ahhh I see , I work for a glazing firm so I have glass on tap ;)
Can you not get a quote from a local glazing firm ?? Make a cardboard template they'll send it off for a quote .

looking good rob I love the scape and love bettas :) before got into this I always said I would have betta in my tank but as you get more involved and realise that small shoals look better for a mountain scape etc and slowly realise betta looks out of place but hopefully get a small tank and betta in future ;)

Dean

Hey Lindy,

It was some 'Ariel Clear Polystyrene' sheet I picked up from B&Q. It's about 2/3mm thick and not too bad to work with. I cut the required square first with a stanley, then took the pipe notches etc out with a drill and dremel. If you use a dremel have it spinning quickly or the attachments get clogged up with melted plastic lol :)

I like having the condensation as it helps diffuse the light a little ;)

looking good rob I love the scape and love bettas before got into this I always said I would have betta in my tank but as you get more involved and realise that small shoals look better for a mountain scape etc and slowly realise betta looks out of place but hopefully get a small tank and betta in future

Thanks Dean. The 'scape' looks bare but the tank is more about the fish now although I will try and develop it some more. You should do it mate, the betta is such great fun to watch. He was sulky the day he was introduced (understandably) but since day 2 has been out and about, comes to see you every time you enter the room and would eat non stop if I let him! lol. He gets Hikari betta pellets AM and daphnia on an evening for now. When you put the live food in you just see him switch into hunter mode. I love him! And want more of them...!!!! :D

Cheers,
Rob

Betta looks beautiful rob, genius way of slowing the flow too, if you need a couple more guards or a shorter one give me a shout.

Hey thanks Tim, and funny you say that about the guards mate :D lol. I was going to get in touch but didn't want to be cheeky...

I'm keen to try some new plants in there, some Lileaposis of some sort for example, but don't know how they'll respond to having practically no flow (Toms big bucket seemed to grow ok with no filter/flow!). There is slight movement around the tank, not enough to bother Mr Betta, in fact, I often catch him having a go in the bit of flow there is lol, he seems to like it.

It was great you sent me the two guards ;) and the one on the outlet is perfect for stifling the flow right down, but I wonder if one with perhaps slightly larger mesh may just allow a wee bit more output/movement?

Really love the fish, such a character. Feeding him bloodworm with tweezers last night and his temperament goes from gracefully floaty to manic hunter the minute he knows food is coming :) Pleasure to watch.

Reactions: tim
Which variety is it Lee? I saw you had MC as well? I've been waiting on some long TMC straight tweezers before ordering anything but I have them now so should help planting ;)

Also wondered how Mr Betta would take to maintenance but i did 50% wc at weekend plus hands in cleaning and he just carried on looking for shrimplets to hunt regardless :D

It's lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae, beautiful little plant. It shed a few leaves when I first put it in but it seems to be doing fine now. Not much growth really but I kind of expected that. The MC on the other hand grows like crazy. It's not putting many runners out at the minute though. I've just been trimming and re-planting. It looks great mixing in with the ranalisma, which has been going crazy for the last month. :)

Cool, may give them both a try then :)

Glad to hear the ranalisma has got going (knew it would ;))

Hi,

I'll start with the bad... I've held off updating this journal as we were unfortunate with our betta fish and I was quite sad about it to be be honest! :( The fish seemed perfect for the first week but in the second week he just dropped like a stone. The missus had gone away for the week and I naively thought that as this fish was in her office and was now alone, it was just withdrawn from having no contact. Basically it stopped eating and by the time I realised something was properly wrong and treated the tank it had full on dropsy and I had to do what I think was the right thing. Was really very sad to see such a rapid decline in him so soon after getting him. I've looked into what have could have gone wrong (over feeding, live daphnia, poor quality fish from LFS etc) and any of them it seems could be responsible.

The missus is very keen to try another betta but we've decided to leave it until after our holidays in July, then we'll think about another.

In the meantime (and better news), i'd acquired some frogbit & cabomba from Darrel. Never had much luck with frogbit but was hopeful in this tank as the flow is slow to non existent lol. Well from a planted point of view this little tank is still surprising me, the growth on the ludwigia and cabomba in particular is mental, i've just trimmed it all up and the stems of both were 45cm+ in length trailing all over the surface. The most amazing aspect though is the plant health of all the plants in there. Didiplis diandra looks so much better than it does in my hi tech and the few tennellus plantlets I replanted are now throwing runners like crazy. Even the frogbit is looking great and starting to spread now. It all looks super healthy in there! :)

As for the livestock, well since the tank became fishless the 5 cherry shrimp I'd kept have boomed again, there's a number of new shrimplets and the more mature ones are constantly berried. At least some things are thriving.

Anyway, enough jibber jabber, here's a couple of pics taken yesterday after a 25% w/c and trim up...

IMAG0205_1_zpsdbd54104.jpg

IMAG0206_1_zps838fc772.jpg

Cheers,
Rob

Back