• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ph and purigen

Lindy

I add leaves and cones to my shrimp tank to help lower the ph. I have just added purigen to polish the water. Will the purigen remove the goodies lowering the ph therefore raising the ph?

I doubt it will affect the lower ph caused by the alder cones etc.
Rather just traps the tannin colour, as after all, they're still in the water.

Have you thought about running a little bag of DI resin in your filter? Softens the water no end. I don't know how controllable it would be though.

Thanks for the replies, will remove it as need the lower ph.

As far as Ph drop using leaves and alder cones, in water like mine you'll be adding all year and still nothing. I add massive amounts to one of my tanks and it doesn't move the Ph one bit.
It may have an effect on the Kh a bit though although not enough to cause a Ph drop for me, and probably has effect on other unmeasurable chemical components which I am hoping for but visually I just get happy cherry shrimp and the leaves provide a good cover for my kuhli loaches.

So if doing a test, I'd measure the Kh, not the Ph to see what makes a difference, providing you test in the same water.

If the waters nice and soft, and Lindy uses enough, they'll be some effect on ph.

I mentioned testing Ph as Isn't it a lot easier to get an accurate measure on with a decent meter? Are there many other tests other than liquid you can do for Kh? Unless you send it to a lab, of course.

Salifert make a very good KH test. It's titration method so it's the most accurate you'll find outside of a lab.

Salifert make a very good KH test. It's titration method so it's the most accurate you'll find outside of a lab.

Can you hit .1 of a degree?

Edit:
Just read up and these look very good indeed. Thanks :D

Would purigen also have an impact on the buffering and pH lowering capabilities of substrate as well ?

Yes and no! It only removes stuff (buffers, acids etc.) from the water. pH lowering substrates have two mechanisms of action. One: binding buffers (carbonates). This process isn't effected by purigen so the water gets softer and the pH gets down a little as well. Effect two: the substrate leaches acids. Any nitrogen containing acids like humic acid, will be adsorbed and thus they're no longer able to drop the pH. The substrate will also leach non-nitrogen acids, which will drop the pH and won't be adsorbed by purigen. So I think the effect will be minimal!

Back