• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Purigen question

James D

I just read in another thread that tetra aqua safe isn't compatible with purigen, rather than derail the other thread it's probably better to start a new one.

So is this correct? (I've got no reason to doubt it) and does it only apply to dechlorinating the purigen after recharging or will using it to treat my water for normal water changes have a detrimental effect as well?

Cheers

James

Aqua safe is amine-based.

To quote seachem's support person
We cannot answer this question fully because we do not know the chemical makep of that product. You should contact the manufacturer and find out if it is amine-based. If the product is amine-based, it will not cause any problems when using them together. The problem arises during the regeneration process. If you were to regenerate the Purigen with an amine-based water conditioner, these amines could combine with the chlorine from bleach (used in regeneration) and form chloramine, which is harmful to the fish. It will not cause this issue until the bleach comes in to play. So, the long and short of it is that you can use Purigen with any water conditioner, but must consider using a non amine-based product in the regeneration process.

The pond doctor dechlorinator doesn't contain amine based products ( I rang the manufacturer. )

1 litre for £8 and 1ml treats 22.5 litres

You can't go wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aqua safe contains a slime coat that coats the purigen and stops it working, thus cannot be used if using purigen in your tank.

I use Seachem prime to dechlorinate as I also have purigen.

Back