• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

The Green Machine- a bit disappointed.

Meh... London, everything is London centric, it might aswell be a seperate state. I think Middle of the country is in dire need and anyway it is within reasonable access of most of the country.... ummm oooh how about Coventry :wave:

UKAPS members map show 271 members in Ireland, Scotland, and northern England. But there's 305 just in Southern England. ;) :p :lol:[DOUBLEPOST=1402255419][/DOUBLEPOST]
For those that didn't fill in the questionnaire, the crux was TGM asked if you would be happy to pay money to watch James Findley Aquascaping videos.

o_O

Pay to see something I get for free from the grandmaster Amano, himself......Among others! Haha they've got to be joking. Anyone would think he invented aquascaping :banghead:

For such a successful Aquascaper, he doesn't have much of an online presence. Yes, he writes for PFK. But why is he not on the largest aquascaping website in the uk? Have a google of George Farmer, and he is all over the internet giving advice and joining in on discussions. Same with Tom Barr. James Findley just doesn't participate in any online discussion... I think the reason that the likes of Tom Barr and George Farmer became such well- respected figures is partly because they were fully engaged with the community. As opposed to just asking us for money for their expertise...

I think his tanks are quite nice and really like his shallow tanks. Probably all down to being let down by expensive, bad PR or marketing advice… and taking a back seat in how he's seen online.

I've only been into this hobby a year so and wouldn't know if a tank passes muster but I've seen his scape at Charterhouse aquatics and thought it was very good.

I've only been into this hobby a year so and wouldn't know if a tank passes muster but I've seen his scape at Charterhouse aquatics and thought it was very good.

Has he been back to rejig it? I was most disappointed by it when I saw it, especially when compared to some on ukaps and other sites (though they had only been open a few weeks). There's a better one at one of my local independent retailers (no ADA this and ADA that either) :rolleyes:. Maybe because they seem so sure they're setting trends and breaking new ground but not looking what yer average bod with a planted tank is now capable of.

Has TGM entered any comps?

For such a successful Aquascaper, he doesn't have much of an online presence. Yes, he writes for PFK. But why is he not on the largest aquascaping website in the uk? Have a google of George Farmer, and he is all over the internet giving advice and joining in on discussions. Same with Tom Barr. James Findley just doesn't participate in any online discussion... I think the reason that the likes of Tom Barr and George Farmer became such well- respected figures is partly because they were fully engaged with the community. As opposed to just asking us for money for their expertise...

So right...

Prices seem roughly comparable. Slightly dearer for charterhouse but that's to be expected being in Central London. Maybe most of the customers are down this way and buy from a shop where they can easily view the (very expensive) products?

Stean Street is in central London now? :s
15min by bike from Westminster. Geography means nothing to me only travel time :rolleyes: Driving the width of Arizona and the length of California in a couple of days has permanently skewed my geographical spacial awareness/reasoning

Anyhoo, stean street is more central london than Wrexham :D

I still need to get down to the charterhouse showroom.

I thought the Charterhouse display room was a nice touch from a mainly online retailer. I was working only a short distance along the towpath when I wondered along one lunchtime. Marine focus with a few planted tanks, but as I said, I rather liked the Findley creation (I'd say it wasn't worth your while to make a special visit). Made me consider a little salty tank for a few days. I reckon the Aquatic Design Centre is a much better London option for planted tanks - there's a really nice display down in the basement with lots of emerged growth spilling out the top and some nice nano tanks in the window.

Will you report back?

:snaphappy: Photos too

Back