• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External CO2 Reactor that fits 16/22 mm hose?

ISTA mix and match does pretty much what Legytt suggests, they provide the 'adaptors'.
Would I recommend it? That depends as it's quite loud when CO2 is pumping into it, trickling water fall sound I'm pumping over 3 large bubbles a second into it and the top does fill up. When not running there's a slight rattle as the rototor doesn't run on bearings. It also takes around 3 weeks to have it shipped over from Taiwan. On the plus side it is out of the tank and getting nice lime green drop checker, there are still some tiny bubbles in my tank but like I said I'm putting a lot of CO2 into it.[DOUBLEPOST=1401362515][/DOUBLEPOST]I think you pretty much need to make one yourself if you want a 16/22 which is what I'll probably do when this one goes.

Last edited:
Oh ok I didn't know that lol

Jaap how big is your tank? I had one hook on a fluval 205 and is wasn't good enough for my 20 litre tank. Some time I will check the flow and I can see the blade inside is not moving unless I tap it and that has cause problems like unstable co2. I then change to a up diffuser and did a black out for 3days and lots of water change its back to normal looking real good now. Like I said it work well if you have good flow. You can always try the up atomizer diffuser work just as good without no noise just more 7up bubbles lol

Last edited:
Beat me to it Alistair. You and me should get commission from Sera. :)

Ok guys thanks!

Now another question...lets say everything fits perfectly...the filter has a power of 1000 l/h....however since I will be using it for a 40L tank I will definitely lower the flow of the filer from its flow valve to adjust the flow to a setting where the plants aren't uprooted....

Will this lowering of the flow affect the functionality of the Sera 1000 reactor (or any 16/22 mm reactor) and in consequence not dissolve the CO2?

In such a case I will be using adapters on 12/16 mm reactor....

I wish I had known about these Sera reactors before I bought yet another inline atomizer...

isnt that a risk though....i mean the flow will be adjusted in relation to the turbulence caused in the tank, however there might be a chance that the flow is lowered at such a point where the CO2 might built up in the reactor....does having a smaller reactor eliminate this risk?

Lowering the flow should increase the co2 dissolution as mid sized bubbles won't be pushed out. Just watch that it isn't so slow the co2 builds up in the reactor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly but as less is being 'wasted' you can just reduce the injection rate which would reduce build up.
Sure a smaller reactor would stop this too.
No way of telling until it's set up though and a bit of jiggling I'm sure a happy place can be found.
Its something worth remembering though, as when I've been lazy not cleaned the filter it's quite easy to upset the fauna with what was fine injection on a well maintained set up.

So not cleaning the filter will effect the co2 being dissolved due to decreased water flow through the reactor?

Possibly but as less is being 'wasted' you can just reduce the injection rate which would reduce build up.
Sure a smaller reactor would stop this too.
No way of telling until it's set up though and a bit of jiggling I'm sure a happy place can be found.
Its something worth remembering though, as when I've been lazy not cleaned the filter it's quite easy to upset the fauna with what was fine injection on a well maintained set up.

isnt that a risk though....i mean the flow will be adjusted in relation to the turbulence caused in the tank, however there might be a chance that the flow is lowered at such a point where the CO2 might built up in the reactor....does having a smaller reactor eliminate this risk?
I would see where you are with it first before reducing the flow. I have a 1250 lph filter which as we know means when empty. One of the down sides of using a reactor is that it does slow down flow quite a bit. In the case of the Sera the inlet to the reactor is about 10mm internal diameter so slows down a fair bit. It also depends what you do after the reactor, ie sparay bars or lily pipe outlets.

With my 1250 filter and the Sera 1000 very little if any undissolved bubbles made it out of the reactor. Mine is a 30 gall tank though but it's by no means powerful enough to start uprooting plants. Getting the Sera 500 might mean some bubbles escaping which sort of defeats the object of the reactor to start with. I have lilly pipes so the entrance force into the tank would be far more than say if I was using a spray bar.

I would use the benefit of the extra flow and the fully dissolved co2, even if it was a touch wild to start with it will soon slow down. If it is too wild (which I doubt btw) you could always reduce at the tank end rather than pre-filter by drilling more holes in the spraybar of have some kind of tap on the bar you could open slightly.

How good is this Sera 1000? I am thinking of pressing Buy but just want to know if its actually for 16/22? Also does it effect the flow?

It's very good. Other than my diy one o made this was the best I ever had and I've had them all. I saw little restriction to flow and complete dissolution of any co2 bubbles.
The connections are unlike other reactors that have tapered ends.

Well worth the money just be careful with the connection for Co2 as it can snap.
Easily resolved by adding a small section of co2 hose and non return value and leave it on as part of the reactor.

Which reminds me, off to start my next monstrous diy reactor

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Back