• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

starting on the wrong foot

G

hello everyone,im will.
im a new UKAPS forums member, and would just like to say how awesome it is.

i have been fishkeeping for a few years but aquascaping tanks is not my strong point.
iv had a few tanks before hand. a 60 l clearseal, a 120l juwel. after selling the old tanks now recently brought a juwel rio 240, and straight away bunged some redsea plant substrate, then 3-4mm pea gravel on top of the substrate. its been up and running for about 3 months and has some cardinals.

but putting gravel in, was that a good idea?

iv already got a few plants in already. some vallis and hydrophilas and they seem to be doing alright, growing well, but i would expect that from the vallis.
its running the standard lighting and im using a jbl bioco2 100 vario.

just now confused what to do next and what plants to put in.
a little advice will go a long way. thanks
will.

Hiya mate welcome to the forum :D

As for the plants,where do you want to take the tank next,do you want a jungle type tank,how about dwarf sag,blyxa or some big amazon swords theres just so many plants to choose :?:

Best thing to do would name some plants that you like the look of :D

Hi Will

I've been trying planted tanks for 8 months now and I still feel I'm on the wrong foot!

I've got gravel too, enriched with laterite. According to one theory plants can just use the substrate as an anchoring medium and take all their nutrients through the leaves, so some will go as far as to say that substrate is not important - but this assumes you are fertilising the water column.

In terms of deciding direction - that was the problem I had - I didn't know whether I was low-tech, El natural, a sort of made-up hybrid or full blown hi-tech. I've just ordered my first properly regulated pressurized CO2 system, and so I believe I am about to become officially hi-tech. I would recommend you decide what ethos you want to follow, and then go full throttle in that direction.

Best of luck!

Joe

joeinlondon said:
According to one theory plants can just use the substrate as an anchoring medium and take all their nutrients through the leaves, so some will go as far as to say that substrate is not important - but this assumes you are fertilising the water column.

This is what I do and it works well for me :)

steve2tanks said:
Hiya mate welcome to the forum :D

As for the plants,where do you want to take the tank next,do you want a jungle type tank,how about dwarf sag,blyxa or some big amazon swords theres just so many plants to choose :?:

Best thing to do would name some plants that you like the look of :D

hi.
well londondragons rio 125 is the look im trying to get :D
iv always wanted to include a nyphyus lotus somewhere in there :)
im adding iron ferts every week, and phos and nitrogen every 2 weeks all to the specific amounts, if that helps.
i know some plants dont like to much of some trace elements.

Back