• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Twinstar DIY

Good for you mate...I am not anti-advertising Twinstar....and may be...some people buying stuff just to show off, why not ....at least as the man from the video said ...having original product will make you cheat less on you girlfriend/wife...LOL

Hi all,
Can not really understand why the mesh has to be made of titanium plated with rare platinum group metals?????? Any one ???? Any inert metal which do not oxidase will work...lets say stainless steel mesh which you can get any sizes
I think you are right, and I think you could have a stainless steel cathode. Platinum would be the best, but expensive, option
.........material with high conductivity, resistance to corrosion and erosion during the electrolysis and able to catalyse the electrode reactions...Also for industrial use, they should be relatively inexpensive. Platinum is an excellent but expensive electrode material. Industrial cathodes may be made from steel or nickel and those used as anodes are metals such as titanium coated with the oxides and mixed oxides of metals such as nickel and cobalt.

From <http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/electrolysis.html>
cheers Darrel

Any chance of a how to?

Hey, great work Clone. Really enjoyable thread. A quick google search came up with this PDF. My eyes glazed over pretty quickly but it seems like they're saying platinum group metals have different properties to your bog standard electrodes (not that I would know).

loved the videos, the second guy manufactured a beast of a unit.

the "fake vs real" was a duff experiment from the start

Apparently for Electroplating, maximum oxygen production is achieved using a Platinum coated Titanium Anode. A 25mm square piece of 1 micron Platinum coated Titanium Mesh Anode is about £35. However if a shed load of folks band together and make a bulk order from China for Platinum coated Titanium Anode Mesh the price would be monumentally lower than this. However since the bulk order would probably have to be in kilos and come as a roll that would need divvying up into small sections it would probably not be worth the legwork, hence Twinstar taking on the challenge.

I suppose it doesn't have to be 'Maximum' oxygen production hence DIYers can get away with using Stainless Steel to do the same job without feeling gouged every time you need to change the anode.

:)

You do know that it's from Korea...right?...LOL
Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I will do better next time...still Twinstar is a bit expensive for poor ghetto DIYer like me even if it is produced in another planet , not in Taiwan.............

I think you will find (I hope ???) that there is a bit more than just applying 12 Volts across titanium/platinum electrodes.

There is a lot of research into this type of device for water purification and/or sewerage processing. They are using catalytic metals (platinum, rhodium etc) in conjunction with variable waveforms applied to the electrodes. The variable waveform (along with electrode type) allows selection of ion they want to "process" in that they can encourage say phosphates present in the water to react with organics and causing them to precipitate out of solution. The waveform (and off pause time) is critical along with mechanical electrode spacing and electrode composition in enabling the ion's to be "selected" electronically.

Anyway my 2p worth in researching the Twinstar. So might actually be quite clever, we hope at that price.

Any updates on this?

I'm really interested in finding what's so special about Twinstar. I think its something that will become common place in 2-5 years when we find out how to make it cheaper.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fkep.psharing.com%2F827568.jpg
That was the first plan...
This is the second:
16471259852_a3d516a69e_z.jpg

TwinStar replica for 3D printer by andras.czesznak, on Flickr

Back