• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

RO Installation

James D

My new D-D Ro unit has arrived today :) so my mind has turned to installing it and I'm just wondering what the best option would be. I'll just add I haven't got a clue about plumbing etc.

At the back of my house I've got a utility room with a washing machine, taps etc and the back door with a garden tap just outside it. I don't really like the look of the pipe-puncturing fitting so my idea is to keep it in the utility room and just move it outside once a week to hook up to the garden tap and then bring it back in when I'm finished, does this sound feasible?

Cheers

James

Why not fit it in the utility room with a hose attachment to feed it from the outside tap? Simple plumbing, no heaving the unit around and no worries if it's chucking it down on water day :cool:

Good idea James, that's why I asked. Presumably I'll need to buy an additional hose attachment, I'll have a look at the fittings later. :)

Read this.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/tmc-v2-pure-50-ro-system-di-unit-with-bypass.33182/

Doing it properly saves time when using the unit, in your case you will be faffing with hoses, connectors etc.

You have got a booster pump have you ? especially if on a water meter ? or else you will be spending/wasting a fortune.

Eg 1000litres of water costs £3.40 for me (£1.20 water + £2.20 waste), so 1litre costs 0.34p. With 3bar pressure and 10:1 (good estimate for 3bar), you waste 3.4p for each 0.34p of RO, total cost 3.74p per litre.

Add a booster pump to 8bar now works at 3:1 waste:ro and 1.33p per litre.

For 50litres RO that's £1.87 vs £0.66. Something to think about.

Of course at 8bar will run at rated output sat 50gals per day 200litres a day so get your 50litres in 6houres, at 3bar will be less that 1/2 that say 40odd litres a day your get your 50litres in over a day.

Cheers Ian

I just had a quick skim through that thread, seems very useful, I'll mull it over again tonight.

I'm happy to say that I'm not on a water meter. I'm not sure about our water pressure but I do know it's on the higher side, I did think about a booster but I've put it off for now, I might get one in the future if it seems worthwhile.

Thanks for the answers. I got it set up last night which was much easier than I was expecting. I ordered a good length of pipe from RO man so I can leave the unit indoors permanently and attach it to the tap outside my door when I need to, should only be once a week. I got about 20 litres in three or four hours last night so I'll probably leave the pump for now, I'm only doing twice weekly water changes in my P-60.

Cheers

I worked out that the cost of a pump was actually cheaper than the cost of the water that you waste with not having a pump. I used to get a huge amount of waste water, now I get very little.

I worked out that the cost of a pump was actually cheaper than the cost of the water that you waste with not having a pump. I used to get a huge amount of waste water, now I get very little.
Unless you are not on a water meter and you can waste as much water as you like....

Fair enough, but you are still wasting water and there are reasons other than money for why you wouldn't want to do that. We are on a meter though.

Pump is the best investment if your making a lot for a big tank. Aside wasting water, you'll make the water in not time. Used to take me two days to get ready for water change pre pump, now just 4 hours for 120ltrs... Waste goes into a water butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't most RO units come with an inbuilt pressure gauge at the input to the membrane unit??

Yes, it was a rhetorical question. :)
Point is I'm not sure why you would need to buy a separate gauge?

Don't most RO units come with an inbuilt pressure gauge at the input to the membrane unit??
No in fact. Most I have seen don't have an input pressure gauge. Here is the DD unit James is using, no gauge.

productwaste.jpg

James, I am sure you have read this on installing the DD unit.
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/installing-d-d-reverse-osmosis-unit

Yep, that's mine Ian, no gauge on it but I'm happy with the performance so I won't be buying anything extra at the moment.

I did read those instructions as well thanks mate.

Back