• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Beginner foreground plants

Worshiper

Hi UKAPS,

I am looking for a easy/beginner carpet or foreground plant.

I had to get rid of all my plants as I was hit really bad with BBA and nothing seemed to work and the plants were poorly(my fault really!).

I want to re do my tank, I am a beginner to aquarium plants as you probably figured by now :)

I have tried DHG and lilaeopsis brasiliensis but I managed to kill them both :(

I have a 6 gal tank with a 11w bulb with a few neons, so I was looking to keep just a very few foreground plants to start with(so i dont kill them again!). Any suggestions on names will help me. Any grass like easy plants are what I am looking for but open to suggestions :)

Thanx in advance UKAPS people!

Are you using co2? What ferts are you using?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yes, I use root tabs.
Was also on co2 2bps for 8 hours(Start 1 hour before lights and off 1 hours before lights off) I stopped dosing co2 last month though. I also do EI dosage but the BBA worsened with EI with 50% water change every week.
I am looking for something low tech though. Trying to keep costs down :(

If you are experiencing algae issues then you need to cut down your light, especially if you are no longer running co2. This will allow all your plants to grow better as they won't be competing so much with the algae.

Lilaeopsis brasiliensis is about as easy as it gets really...low-tech wise. I think that you're using too much light, both intensity and duration. Try 6 hrs duration, at least to start with, and in practical terms something like a 9w Arcadia Arc Pod and/or floating plants. It may also help if you go whole hog soil substrate, see link below along with the advice in the tutorials section. And try 1/10 - 1/5 EI dose as well - the standard for low-energy.

Last edited:
Back