• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Anybody got one of these

9ED90B02-2A21-44C9-A673-D09EA2FAE284_zpsf4r7msnz.jpg

Bleedy slugs
I've got to go buy some more seeds before i can plant some more, i've lost the ones from last year in a cupboard somwhere and i'll be lucky if that one gets to 2 feet tall
Its a bummer living in a rented house with a carpark out front and a patio&gravel out back. The only plants i have are that sunflower on the patio and my three fishtanks[DOUBLEPOST=1401727720][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi Big clown, As you said i don't think it will get very much taller :(
One thing the Plastic thing holding the sunflower to the stick :eek::( it will damage the stem of the plant :( Use soft cotton or string it much kinder to the stem :)
It was the OH that put those on. Last year i used cable ties, in pairs so I didn't crush the stem.
Which reminds me, i need to buy some cotton to tie some moss on.

The proper variety is important IMO, otherwise you just have normal heigh plants. I have good results planting them near the manure pile but no need. Here in Spain they grow like weeds, they are actually planted in very bad soils, just need sun, sun and more sun. Probably too much water (or British rain ;)) will produce a weak plant, we don't give them too much water and here's quite hot...

Jordi

Dog snapped mine yesterday so got some new seeds in :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

The one I started off indoors is doing OK, even if the aphids seem to love the taste of it! Just ordered some ladybird larvae to sort that though :). The pics next to a 640ml for scale.
Slugs have eaten all the ones I started in the ground so I've started a more couple off in a pot on the windowsill too.
yru2ajug.jpg

u7yru4yh.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My weedy specimen seems to be growing a couple more flowers, perhaps my daughters nursery bought a mixed pack of seeds from b&q
F4AB8177-9CB8-4317-A183-F2C8878B37E7_zpsx79n6ir4.jpg

464667B7-3BD3-4350-83C0-DAED55DE4F6A_zps3hipzzm7.jpg

I'll get some better pics when it grows a bit more
And in the pot
B1E9ADCF-6028-4555-B266-B3486A22CAC7_zpsmjc32cyk.jpg

3 new sunflowers and those plastic thingys have damaged the stem but it does seem to repair itself though

Hi Great that things are coming along:) I planted 4 seeds they had just started to grow then the slugs got them :rage::rage: So i will replant and get some slug pellets :D
Said the plastic ties would damage the stem:( It will heel itself but it takes a lot of the plants energy to do so:( That it could be using to grow taller :)

Nice one getting flowers already Bigclown, you'll get tasty sunflower seeds before me! Or just leave them for the birds.

Greenfinger2, maybe try beer traps, nematodes, copper tape or woollen slug pellets for the slugs? :) Slug pellets are a real pet hate of mine, I especially hate the ones branded as "organic" as after doing some research on them I came to the conclusion they are just as dangerous as the other ones when it comes to hedgehogs, frogs and birds. Not to mention the potential negative affect on the soil microbes (which are overlooked by most gardener a, but are just as important as they are our fish tanks IMO)

My neighbour uses loooads of them around his lettuce and I really feel sorry for my local thrush population :(.

Last edited:
Nice one getting flowers already Bigclown, you'll get tasty sunflower seeds before me! Or just leave them for the birds.

Greenfinger2, maybe try beer traps, nematodes, copper tape or woollen slug pellets for the slugs? :) Slug pellets are a real pet hate of mine, I especially hate the ones branded as "organic" as after doing some research on them I came to the conclusion they are just as dangerous as the other ones when it comes to hedgehogs, frogs and birds. Not to mention the potential negative affect on the soil microbes (which are overlooked by most gardener a, but are just as important as they are our fish tanks IMO)

My neighbour uses loooads of them around his lettuce and I really feel sorry for my local thrush population :(.

Hi Three fingers , You made me feel real bad now :( I have tried the other methods but they are not that great at killing slugs and snails .Nematodes are not allowed on the Allotment ?? plus the cost :eek: But i will have a rethink about using the pellets :) Well our small birds do need help and they are good for the garden with all the bugs they eat :thumbup:

Back