• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

LED lighting with T8 Adaptor

dc31

Seedling
Hi,

Been keeping tropical fish for quite a few years now and looking to have a go at a planted tank. Currently got a Fluval Roma 125 (800 x 350 x 450h) with 2 x 20w T8 lights.

From what I've read up, the T8 lights aren't going to be any good for plants so looking to upgrade. I've seen the Arcadia Series 5 LED bars (http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/led-strip/) which look good and come with a T8 adaptor + can use a smartbox for control. But I can't find them anywhere, anyone got any suggestions or alternatives?

Reason I've looked at these is mainly the T8 adaptors, my tank has a plastic surround where the light unit sits on at the top of the tank so can't use a mounted setup. I've also seen forums where users have done a guide to changing T8 to T5 on the Roma range but don't really want to start drilling holes in my light unit.

Looking at the PAR values for these LEDs (nice Arcadia actually give them :)) for say 15inches (near your 450mm) 70PAR, thus in definition of "medium " light, one can also see these are brighter than equivalent T8, but 1/3 less than T5.

Doesn't give any power consumption, which is a shame to you can't compare running costs with your existing T8 and/or if you move to T5's.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774

PARvsDistVariousBulbs2.jpg

Personally I've found t8s plenty for growing plants, I'd plant it up and get to grips with co2 and flow before worrying about upgrading lights, you'll be surprised what you can grow :)
i agree :)

Thanks for your replies. I was looking to do an Iwagumi setup, would the standard plants used in these be OK with the T8 lighting + CO2?

I've already upgraded my filter to an external at 11 x tank volume per hours so hopefully that should be OK.

Would I need to worry about dosing and ferts? I live in a hard water area in the Chiltern Hills, I can find plant hardness requirements but nothing on what typically water quality hardness in my area might be. Realising now that I'm starting to go outside the lighting category.

Back