• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My tank

Ah that's a bummer do you not have a tropica retailer?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

not really, especially not the city I live in... look at my post above, thats all the stuff I can find in the hemianthus family... that site is like ebay but with some (online) stores

I just found what you said Micranthemum MC.... i found a different name for it... Elatine Hydropiper ? is this it?

Last edited:
It won't be from tropica, that I'm 100% sure of... I don't know if it's the real Elatine Hydropiper :\ but MC under the other name isn't available to purchase either

In that case, it seems MC will be difficult to obtain, is there any other similiar looking plant I can use for carpet? I admit Moss and Ricca look nice as carpeting, but will I need CO2 and a lot of light? I want to limit both

Last edited:
I almost can't imagine MC would be difficult to get a hold of, but TBH, most Micranthemum-species aren't that difficult to grow, especially if you dry start them, they will go mad, so both M. Micranthemoides and M. Umbrosum could work in those conditions. Another possibility would be Hairgrass (Eleocharis Acicularis), grows like mad, so does require weekly trimming, even without CO2 and with moderate lighting. You could also have a look at Staurogyne Repens, don't have any personal experience with it, but from what I understand, it can be grown quite well in low-tech. The smaller Cryptocoryne-species could also be an option, such as C. Parva and C. Pygmea.

I have Acicularis and parvular in the 60L and it's not growing mad, it's very pathetic.... I'll take a look at some of the others you mentioned and see what I like...

In poland some of the plants are hard to find without the latin name.... even with the latin name it can be hard... I technically live in a populous area but this city is pathetic when it comes to aquatics, there's 3 stores that have decent stuff, i got to know one of the owners and he buys 'specialty' items now because I've been nagging him.... and the other 2 I have no idea about because I've heard bad opinions.... then you have the big market stores that have rotting plants and dead fish in plastic cups that don't enough water to cover the fish... so finding plants without ordering online is pretty much out of the question...

Parvula can be a nightmare to grow, at least in my experience, with the Acicularis, I've had zero problems, other than sometimes having to trim it twice a week.

That sucks man, I have the same issues with most aquatic stores in my area, especially regarding plants, not too knowledgable, plants often melting in the store, et cetera. Thankfully, I've found a great online supplier (I checked, they don't send abroad, sorry), and they send the plants straight from the grower, so they arrive without ever being submersed, so less stress on the plants, which results in better growth and less melt. I now know when my LFS gets their plant shipments, so I make sure to be there when they arrive, so I can pick and choose before they are submersed there, again, better results.
This does not help you in your situation, I'm aware of that, but perhaps you might be able to find out who is the biggest supplier of aquatic plants in Poland, and perhaps contact them directly?

I might give acicularis anther try... I very much like how the plants look, and was hoping for a full carpet of parvula and acicularis... but when you buy acicularis there's a very big probability you'll get parvula... been there... unless you get it locally you can't be certain...

I've talked to my guy and he gets his plants from one of the "big suppliers" in-vitro plants... he gave me their info and I called them to find out that the invitro is purchased from abroad (thailand mainly) and shipped to them and they just distribute... that defeats the purpose, because by the time the client receives the plants they've already been in 3+ different climates, and you'll buy what seems like nice plants but they will be half dead a day after you buy them... at least that's my exp.

exactly... and this is one of the major suppliers of invitro... I noticed that it's the same firm that plantagarden.pl uses and one other firm that I don't remember the name of...

I almost can't imagine MC would be difficult to get a hold of, but TBH, most Micranthemum-species aren't that difficult to grow, especially if you dry start them, they will go mad, so both M. Micranthemoides and M. Umbrosum could work in those conditions. Another possibility would be Hairgrass (Eleocharis Acicularis), grows like mad, so does require weekly trimming, even without CO2 and with moderate lighting. You could also have a look at Staurogyne Repens, don't have any personal experience with it, but from what I understand, it can be grown quite well in low-tech. The smaller Cryptocoryne-species could also be an option, such as C. Parva and C. Pygmea.
Cryptocoryne family doesn't seem like the carpet type I'm looking for...
Staurogyne Repens looks like a stem plant

I might actually give acicularis a try, but not put my hopes up...

I'll also look on some local website, maybe someone has some plants they might sell...

ah, so by meadow look you're referring to different types of plants covering the ground "weed" look, etc... yes?

Maybe you've got a good idea there... there's a set of plants i can buy, about 20 different plants, some stem some not and theres 2 or 3 different carpet plants... I dig how HC and Parvula look, maybe I can make a combination in my 60L then move something to the 27L

:D lol! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea... better chance of having a full carpet if there are two different plants...

Back