• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CO2 meter?

Nice find! Maybe one day we'll all have these- death to drop checkers/pH testing! Can't afford to be a tester on this but I think I might contribute a Canadian dollar or two!

i think the self calibration is the selling point on this one tom barrs one seems similar but needs calibrating

yes would be useful, especially as I understand drop checkers give a reading of the Co2 two to three hours late ..?

I am a bit confused with all that stuff... you know CO2 meter, PAR meter, pH meter, etc. On the one hand it has to be wonderful to check with accuracy these key parameters on your planted tank. Undoubtedly this can result in even better aquascapes, growing much more species and for professionals a perfect working tool.

But on the other hand, I guess most hobbyists will be losing the chance of understanding how a planted tank works and their capacity of interpretation just by assessing simple facts (plants’ health, drop checkers, algae growth) or understanding the physiology of plants and animals they keep. It is true that there is no need of understanding every single detail of your tank, but it is a challenge and probably the most interesting thingIMO

And another important thing, we will be falling once again into the trap of “needing a lot of money to play the game”. Imagine the cost of having a collection of these XXmeters. Nevertheless We are already in that situation… we want optiwhite tanks, LED lights (that consume less energy but cost a fortune, actually you will need the light to be working for 50 years to really pay the difference and really save money), Twinstars, ferts done with water that comes from the most pure water sources or deep seas, etc. always under the threat of having algae blooms or fail in the attempt of having a superb tank.

I admit I do have some of these things (well, just one optiwhite tank, and love it!)… but I always try to remember that some decades ago a lot of people were doing the same (at least in my case, much better that I can do) without much less.

(I would love to test this CO2 meter :D)

Jordi

Last edited:
Well I remember when I was living in the USSR and had a heater with no thermostat in it, simple incandescent lamps without timer and some crap air lift filter. Of course plants were growing, fish swimming but no way I would like to go back to that kind of equipment. So IMHO its normal that world is moving ahead and one day it will be common thing to have a LED above your tank. I can not agree that all these gauges are an obstacle to understand the principles of our hobby because without understanding you will be unable to choose what kind of gauges you need.

I agree Jordi, there is a lot on the market which is totaly superfluous, I would still love a decent affordable PAR meter, combined with a pH pen this would be enough. The CO2 meter would help diagnosing troubles (people expect higher CO2 values than there realy are) but wouldn't be "needed". I don't even use a thermometer in my tanks

I can not agree that all these gauges are an obstacle to understand the principles of our hobby
I agree with you. I remember one the best things that have been said about the Twinstar: "if you know how to get rid of algae it helps, if you don't, it won't be your solution"... that is why I mean (change the word "algae" by "problem", and the word "Twinstar" by any other device.

Jordi,

I do understand what you mean. Technology can change the way we understand some things but can also make us "not understand" how stuff really works. That's the beauty of technology for most people: can do what others do without the need to know a lot about them. Just think about your computer and the operating system you use... and the interfaces we have...
Having said that, i really believe that if we know that for a certain tank 30ppm is what we need (co2), why are you looking at DCs that can have large errors and not having a device that tells us exactly what we have? More... with that devices we can have alerts by mails, sms, etc. Our fish will have a better life.
That's technology helping us and our tanks have a better life and have a "damage control" with our errors.

Pedro.

Back