• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My tank

I don't have much of an imagination... but that would be one thick carpet if it grows out properly... have a up to date picture?

I was looking at the date of the last post but couldn't find it... already have grass popping up :O that's quick... took me 2 mmths before I saw any...

I'm quite intregued.... I just saw the banner to buy some fresh water shrimp... 2.50 gbp for 1 cherry shrimp... I pay 2.00 zl for 1 cherry shrimp...

2.50gbp = 12,5zl.... you guys overpay...

Last edited:
So I seem to have a problem, and I've got no idea where..

CO2 is at lime green
dosing according to the EI parameters provided by Ceg
Doing 2 WC per week..
Flow seems pretty good, I have it going from back right corer to front left corner and the plants
move...
Temp. is at 23c

BUT

Plants are still melting (made sure to add some extra Potassium when creating the new batch of EI and something is killing off m shrimp... 5 in 1 day :( any advice would be helpful... I turned down the co2 for now and am dosing a smaller dose of EI until I have some pointers what I should do

Where are the plants failing? Is it throughout the tank or in certain areas?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

@Edvet
I use the JBL solution sold witht he JBL drop checkers
1-JBL%252520Constant%252520CO2%252520pH%252520Drop%252520Checker.12_thumb.jpg

water changes mid week 50%, and then 90% in weekend (2 days free of EI), no ph device.
My fish are suffering if I add anymore CO2, so I cannot imagine it being not enough...

@ali
The plants are meltng everywhere, everything behind the rocks... but I can clearly see the leaves swaying and moving around.... so the circulation should be ok
IMG_20140628_221727_zps33c2c9c9.jpg

Thanks for the quick response, I don't want my critters suffering, and it hurts every time I have to get rid of a dead one :(so any advice would be fantastic

I'd hve to go sarching or order it, I have yet to see the solution in any store. The drop checker according to ceg works well, it comes with a diluted 4kh solution. I have rea it, and just looked through it breify just now.... I seem to be doing everthin crrectly but imissing somehing

If plants are melting and fish are suffering CO2 distress then that means any combination of distribution, timing and flow rate is the problem.

You do not need a pH pen to do a pH profile check. You already have a pH test via the reagent used in the DC.

A single point source filter outflow is a common hindrance to good flow distribution.

Lighting stress may also be an issue.

The only thing we can truly believe in our tanks is the condition of the plants. If they are suffering CO2 failure then we must believe them, despite what we would like to think.

Cheers,

Ceg, would it make sense to leave the co2 off and EI for a week? I would rather lose all my plants then my fish and shrimp :( What can I do? I turned down the co2 this morning and its light blue atm, the shrimp seem to have a black spot from what I've read can be caused by ammonia or stress... and the fish are swimming to the top of the water (I'm assuming gasping for air?) ...

I'm really hating this tetratec filter, all I have is problems.. I'll attach the aquael external filter to the tubingand see if things progres positively.

Ceg, would it make sense to leave the co2 off and EI for a week?
No, that makes no sense at all. Why turn off CO2 when there is a CO2 shortage in the tank?
And did you turn the lights off as well? That is the root of your problems no doubt.

As I mentioned many times, just because you are adding CO2 it does not mean that you are adding it correctly. It's not enough to simply turn on a valve and to watch bubbles. It's much more complicated than that.

As Edvert suggested, you need to do a pH profile check prior to and throughout the photoperiod.
You definitely need to rework your filter outflow technique because that image in post #50 you provided looks terrible. You need to pay much more attention to flow/distribution and to understand why it is so critical. Check the thread http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/water-flow-in-the-planted-aquarium.1167/

If you find it too stressful to deal with CO2 then you might want to try a low tech approach, which will require less light, will generate slower growth, but will avoid the dangers of gassing the fish.

Cheers,

Spay bar! I love spray bars. I hate lily pipes.... Never can get the flow right with then

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

My light is limited to 1 24w bulb at 5,5hrs/day which you recommended, always on at the same time and I do my water changes before the lights turn on.

I turned up the co2 a bit, should be lime green, and added the external pump to get the water moving some more and adjusted it to make ripples at the top but to hit against the glass and move everything downwards...

If you're referring to the bubbles on post #50, those are not the bubbles from the co2, that's from the water cahnge on the glass... if you look close to the opening of the hose, you'll see the tiny co2 bubbles from the canister and you can follow then... the bubbles literally hit the front left corner of the aquarium from the back left corner and then moves back...

I read some of the posts in the water flow thread, I will continue reading today, I would prefer doing spray bar but then would need a different solution for my co2 distribution... and will need to get a good spray bar and not the cheap black plastic:\ I will also read about the ph profile check.

Thanks for your help, if you have any other ideas let me know.

Where did you get those plants from?
If you got them recently from a shop or on-line.
They will have been grown emersed.....so you will have a transformation stage where some of the plants will melt and shed leaves.
Some plants adapt quicker and better than others...to underwater life.
So its pot luck at times depending on which species you purchased.

If your fish are suffering try more gas exchange at the surface...raise your outlet pipe.
You can always add more Co2 if the checker starts turning greenish/blue.
I would start with a Green drop checker for starters with 5 hours of lighting for a few weeks till you see new leaf growth from the plants.
Your fauna will appreciate it....it may take longer to get the plants established but that's the route i would take if there is fish in the aquarium,and they are not comfortable with a lime green checker.
Cheers
hoggie

they were grown emersed from a "grower" (explained on page 2), but I've had them for some time now :\ they're not new just replanted because of a mistake I made.

Hoggie, I tried that, yesterda I started with minimal co2 and the dropchecker changed to light blue but the fish were still gasping... I left it overnight like this and this morning they seemed fine but another shrimp was on his back :( so I'm not sure if they're gasping because of the CO2 or another fault... I added a bit more Co2 this morning and it should be darker lime green... I'll see when I get home

Back