• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Led lights

Crossocheilus

Hi guys.
I'm considering leds for my new 90 x 45 x 45cm tank. I've looked at the tmc ultima 1500nd tiles but a full set up with 2 x tiles 2 x controllers and mounting stuff would be in the region of £500. Are there other, cheaper and maybe better options? I want a high tech planted tank, will be doing co2 and ei, but I'm aware you want less light to avoid algae, as long as flow, co2 + nutrients is perfect.
Can any one recommend a good led setup for this size and type of tank?

Which wattage would I need? 120w or the 60w? I'm guessing 160w is WAY too high. Anyone who owns a razor care to say what you think of the colour rendition and what size you have for what tank?

Hi, you'd only need the one multi controller for the tmc 1500s. And, I recently loaned Gary Nelson on here a tmc 1500 as he didn't like the look of his maxspect razor in terms of colouring of plants etc and he loved the tmc instead.

There's also the arcadia otl led which has controller etc all built in which is good value but the tmc controller has a greater flexibility of control

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Its cheaper to get 2 small controllers rather than the one 8 channel.

he didn't like the look of his maxspect razor in terms of colouring of plants etc and he loved the tmc instead.

Don't say that! I was just getting my heart set on the razor instead. Why are there so many decisions!
Anyway thanks for the reply Alistair.[DOUBLEPOST=1404899212][/DOUBLEPOST]Can anyone with a Maxspect Razor say what they think of the colour rendition (which is somewhat adjustable by the changing the percentage of the two channels).

Last edited:
The Kessil looks great in some aspect but overall maybe not the best, perhaps I'm just fixating but I'm still seriously considering the Razor, but I'm not sure what size to get or whether people generally like the colour rendition.
adeja5ur.jpg
Here's a diagram I made of light spread from the 120w and 160w and it looks like the 120w (right) at a height of 30-50cm would give full spread in a 90cm tank. I know the diagram is confusing.

Can anyone with a Maxspect Razor say what they think of the colour rendition (which is somewhat adjustable by the changing the percentage of the two channels).
In think the member sanj has a Razor. Maybe he'll notice this thread. I must admit I prefer the look of 6500-7000k. However, I think this can be achieved with the Razor.

Yeah if you have the cool white + blue channel on a lower percentage than the warm + cool white channel a more appealing colour should be achievable.

Hmm interesting vid. Even if the razor is soon to be replaced it can still be a great product. That wave maker looks really interesting, looks like it could be useful in a high tech planted to achieve the circular motion Ceg recommends.[DOUBLEPOST=1404915773][/DOUBLEPOST]Anyone know when the Maxspect Blade (?) was it called, will be released?

Hi
The Kessil is the most manouverable light on the market....it can be swang from side to side, up and down, bent to a corner where there is lack of light.
Its very versatile.....it has a goose neck... although this is extra to purchase.
It can be mounted from the ceiling....it can be disguised...as Big Tom has shown.
You can get easy access to your aquarium with this light.....a huge plus point.
It as a great shimmer effect....its cheaper to run....just my thoughts.
Cheers
hoggie

That's all true and it does sound good, but I hear it's very noisy and although manouverable the light spread must still be limited.

Do you know what the spread is in degrees, how big is the unit? I seem to remember seeing that it doesn't have dimming? If that is the case its a no for the Kessil because dimming is the main advantage of led for me.

Hi guys.
I'm considering leds for my new 90 x 45 x 45cm tank. I've looked at the tmc ultima 1500nd tiles but a full set up with 2 x tiles 2 x controllers and mounting stuff would be in the region of £500. Are there other, cheaper and maybe better options? I want a high tech planted tank, will be doing co2 and ei, but I'm aware you want less light to avoid algae, as long as flow, co2 + nutrients is perfect.
Can any one recommend a good led setup for this size and type of tank?
Hi, take a look at Aqualighter 3 - LED Lightning from Collar company (Ukraine). Also with controller device.

Back