• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
The reason for no images right now is the tank has had a huge bacterial bloom making the water very milky, no idea why? The established filters and daily 50% water changes (such a pain with big tanks and RO) are clearing it up slowly.

I feel your pain, and my tank is only half the size of yours and tap water but I usually get a bacterial bloom when I rescape. I think it just happens when you knock the tank out of balance.

Nice list of plants there looking forward to see how it goes.

Lovely fresh scape mate :thumbup:
Whatever your plant list is I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.
I see grasses, riccia, hc as a mixed carpet, something tight (ish) which won't envelop the rocks. Unsure about planting, if any, on the branches, but maybe something a bit out of the box like floating, trailing clusters of hydrocotle t. here and there?....nice light green so not too heavy a palette to unbalance things? Hydrocotle would look nice in there, has a softness in keeping with the cobbles. Then maybe a feature plant reaching for the surface, a lily or nymphoides taiwan, rounder leaf shape to compliment the cobbles again?
Thats likely too safe a plant list for you though mate, you do seem to like some more unusual species, but really looking forward to following progress whatever goes in :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady you make that sound like you could almost eat it ha ha. A master chef of aquascaping nom nom :)

Oh and I've gotta spoil it....sorry, and say I've already seen the plant up and think I know what iains intended look will be and it certainly will be something mate.
Belter :D
( don't like saying 'cracking' in this hobby lol)

haha me too mate, wish i had the time to get some images and edit the video together. Bacteria bloom has cleared and everything is growing like mad considering its only been a week. I have some time off coming up this week so should get something organised sunday or monday.

I did pick up some gems today for the bottom though, just need to let the glosso root properly before they go in.

(Looked at the new plantfirm on the web, looks good, but why the hell did they partner up with Knott?)
why Knott?? haha he is one of the most followed aquascapers out there so has a huge audience, he grows amazing plants and aside from some things being a bit off the wall he makes some awesome scapes (minus plastic figurines)

Agree his scapes a genuine he just IMO ruins it with Yoda and monks... :D

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Plants from Aquainnova. High Quality in vitro cups and really very impressive Invitro tube (taller stems)
The new part of this brands line is the Linea Zero range, effectively old school pots but with no rock wool and grown sterile. I was very impressed with the linea zero plants ability to get going and grow as you'll see from the images. The stauro. repens and gloss showed visible growth after one day. The main benefit to these plants is the ability to be sold internationally to countries with strict regulations to plant import.

14473796547_25da142a64_b.jpgIMG_4639 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

I didn't take many images during planting as tried a full planting video (yet to be put together)
Just after planting...
14473797407_22508c1cef_b.jpgIMG_4656 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

7 days later following bacterial bloom, managed 2 x 50% water changes to sort the cloudy water and 1 more during the week due to work but with mature filters and no ammonia spike it seems to have faired well.
14637265666_5cf0a8221d_b.jpgIMG_4740 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

14473558840_de36876b03_b.jpgIMG_4741 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

14660241155_8776cef767_b.jpgIMG_4742 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

Mixed Bucephalandra seem to be happy enough really close to the light source, they have started flowering but I'm unsure if that could be induced by stress like with anubias?? No sign of algae though and new leaves coming through...
14680148163_a33f92d758_b.jpgIMG_4746 by iainsutherland24, on Flickr

So far I'm pretty happy, the growth from the plants that went in day one has been good. The other plants only went in 4 days ago so are busy getting roots down before showing me any growth and covering up the steel holding the wood.
Ammania grasilis is a nice pink colour, ludwigia inclinata cuba is rocketing off, I can see this being a brute.
Stauro repens seems to be a slightly different variety than I've had in the past with longer leaves and maintaining the serrated edges?? Will see what happens after the first trim.

Will try and update in a few days with progress and get the video up and running...

Last edited:
Great job with the planting mate, and the growth seems very impressive.

That's epic!
But I can't find your lagenandra on 7 days picture. Where have you hidden it?

cheers alex, lagenandra is hiding at the back, i have just trimmed the emersed growth and new leaves just coming through.... should be able to see it by the end of the week :) In honesty ive never grown it before so have no idea of size, shape etc which is why i tucked it away at the back for now.

Great job with the planting mate, and the growth seems very impressive.
haha its suprised me how quick it has settled and grown ady, i hope it continues. Ill do a bunch more pics friday night which will be 2 weeks to see how its changed.... should be some movement in by then aswell :)

Love it! I think this will turn up very, very nicely!

Love it! I think this will turn up very, very nicely!
thanks matey, hope it lives up to the idea. Im still a little on the fence with the lowest right piece of wood, may do a little work with that further down the line.

Astounding, looks superb for a week old mate, another epic scape in the making Iain, up there with the best IMO mate.
Growth has been very surprising tim, this is the only big tank ive done more than one scape in, so having a feel for the equipment etc has certainly helped. Ive got a week off now so am going to push the lighting up towards the 70% area and see how it goes, currently at 50%
Assuming it doesnt all go horribly wrong then ill have plenty of trimmings to move on.

It is looking very smart, hopefully the plants wont obscure the hardscape, but they look well chosen.

The one thing I am thinking of at the moment is the placement of the bucephalandras and proximity to the light source. If you get everything in balance it may not be a problem, but Green spot algae could be an issue. These were placed low down in your last scape?

hey folks, tank is continuing on the right track and alls well.
I have been trying for two days to get a couple of videos uploaded to you tube and every time it fails after waiting for hours of processing. Its very annoying but hopefully i should get it sorted eventually.
The second video is of the licorice gourami sparring which i was very chuffed to catch and keen to share but again fails to upload.... watch this space.

Back