• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquarium safety base mat

Hi everyone. I was wondering whether it is necessary to use some sort of mat between aquarium and cabinet? It is going to be a 90x45x45 signature tank with white gloss cabinet. All the mats I have seen were in black colour which wouldn't really much white gloss or optiwhite glass. Thanks for your opinions.

Yes you must use something between the glass bottom of the tank and any surface its rests on.

This serves two purposes:
- Allows for any slight miss match if the surface resting on is not 100% flat.
- If any dirt/sand gets in, it stops it breaking the bottom glass sheet.

My mate broke the sheet of glass on the bottom of his tank (once full of water of course :D) when he placed it on top of a chest of drawers and caught a piece of gravel/sand under the tank. Luckily leaked quite slowly, but he fixed it by siliconing a piece of glass over the crack in the bottom. Tank now rests on a couple of sheets of polystyrene insulating wallpaper, lesson learnt.

My mates polystyrene base is now painted black, since he moved the tank into the kitchen onto a black kitchen work top. Just paint the polystyrene with PVA and black emulsion. Job done.

Back