• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mantis Shrimp

8ypu9u8y.jpg

I take it my phones being dodgy?

Lindy, apparently the water depth where we we're was around 150 metres, you couldn't see the bottom and when you looked down there was cathedral lighting extending into the depths, the water clarity was very poor due to all the planktonic life. I chose to hire a wetsuit as a life jacket is a worse option, for some reason the freedom afforded by the wetsuit decreased my fear of depth (snorkelled once in Thailand in a life jacket and it was a miserable experience, I ditched it in favor for free diving when snorkelling Maya bay on Koh Phi Phi Ley, in saltwater bouancy is not a problem until you get deep). I swam in a cavernous Cenote (haven't posted that vid) that had the same cathedral lighting and a bottom I could not see (beyond 50m), much more frightening due to the very reduced bouancy in fresh water, however nothing in that water was big enough to take me whole into its mouth or sideswipe me with a 2m tailfin. The experience on the whole was so overwhelming in a way that fears just melted away! I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

And for those that are interested, this was a Thompson First Choice package holiday to the Grand Bahia Príncipe on the Riviera Maya, it's so good we're saving to go again!!!

Getting on a plane in a few hours, so sad to be leaving the place, truly magical holiday!

:)

Back