• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Tom's Poco Pozo

Nothing is quite final yet, but I'm thinking otos, C. habrosus, a group of Dicrossus filamentosus/maculatus, a good size shoal of dithers (totally up in the air still) and some Nannostomus eques, of which I picked up the last 4 from my LFS this morning. More will be added when they have stock again. They're just about the most peacefully behaved fish I've ever seen -

fc1bd9.jpg

5595d3.jpg

Lovely Tom! Really great start. I wish I had the space for something like this, or Alistairs give away tank.

The fish look very nice. Very peaceful.

Were currently looking at moving to Cornwall to live, the better half has interview in Newquay local hospital tues 29th. So I may end up pestering you for good shop locations :D

Lovely Tom! Really great start. I wish I had the space for something like this, or Alistairs give away tank.

The fish look very nice. Very peaceful.

Were currently looking at moving to Cornwall to live, the better half has interview in Newquay local hospital tues 29th. So I may end up pestering you for good shop locations :D

Nice one. 'Tis lovely down here and there are several decent LFS scattered about.[DOUBLEPOST=1405699362][/DOUBLEPOST]And all four on patrol. Anyone have an idea on sexes? I'm thinking 4f or 1m3f?

d7f342.jpg

775c10.jpg

Last edited:
Nice choice of fish tom, I love pencilfish, my lfs had a large group of these hockey stick pencils captivating little fish, I didn't manage to get them before someone beat me to it but from research I'd say you quite probably have 4f specimines, love the way these guys "hang" in the water, on my fish to keep list :thumbup:

Tom looks like you have 3 females and one male. 3rd one down from your second picture should be a male. N. Eques are lovely fish, they are one of the pencils that should do fine with dwarf cichlid fry.

Have you also considered hatchet fish? They should look awesome while they patrol the surface, then again with an open top tank they may jump out, but it's something to think about.

Tom looks like you have 3 females and one male. 3rd one down from your second picture should be a male. N. Eques are lovely fish, they are one of the pencils that should do fine with dwarf cichlid fry.

Have you also considered hatchet fish? They should look awesome while they patrol the surface, then again with an open top tank they may jump out, but it's something to think about.

Thanks Michael, that's what I was thinking - the third fish is a touch slimmer and is just showing a slight blue edging to the anal and pelvic fins (more easily seen in the earlier 2 photos). I had given hatchets some consideration but like you said I'd be a bit wary of jumpers.

Well mate, as I expected you've started another legendary journal to be. It's looking so good even so early on.
Fish choice is perfect and the layout brilliant. I can see the end result being fantastic. I knew you'd do the tank proud

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Well mate, as I expected you've started another legendary journal to be. It's looking so good even so early on.
Fish choice is perfect and the layout brilliant. I can see the end result being fantastic. I knew you'd do the tank proud

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks Alastair! Having so much fun setting this all up.

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

Exactly the same happened to me tom- a day or so after adding my beckfordi pencils, they began spawning! Never saw any fry though, probably got eaten. But since theres only four fish in your tank, which is massive, you should see some survivors! They are absolutely awesome looking fish, very natural, and look much better than any other photos of them that i have seen. Here's to another great journal!

Hi all,
Er good question. They're from a climber in the garden. No idea what it's called but looks like this
Muehlenbeckia axillaris.
Yeah they're quite hard to raise by all accounts so I'm not holding my breath but it's nice to see.
Ste Chesters breeds/has bred them. I'll see if I can find the posts (may be on Apistogramma forums).

cheers Darrel

Back