• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aqua one nano 40 first tank.

TomEdge

Seedling
Firstly, thank you to everyone on here who contributes I have been reading on here for about a month before deciding to finally buy a tank.

My name is Tom, I'm in my mid 20's I'm from the southwest of England I have house rabbits, reeves turtles and now a tank of plants. Outside of that I enjoy playing in bands and portrait photography

5w3FTNKl.jpg

pXcexQvl.jpg

X8HWBDXl.jpg

btUjHDTl.jpg

Gear list
Aqua one nano 40
Aqua gro substrate
Aqua gro expert co2 kit
Fluval biological noodles
Tropica ferts (orange)

My routine
Home from work at 4 light on
5 oclock is co2 on 1-2 bps
5 o'clock is one squirt of ferts
10 co2 off
11 lights off!

The tank was setup on Sunday night so no water change yet but as there are no fauna in the tank I was thinking weekly 50% let me know if I'm wrong.

Plants don't appear to be doing GREAT but none dead yet. If I'm doing anything criminally wrong please let me know! Looking for as much advice as possible!

Last edited:
Hi tom, welcome to ukaps :) couple of things co2 should be on a couple of hours before the lights to saturate the water before the plants need it, also water changes a good starting regime I've found is daily water changes for the first week, second week every other day, third week every third day finally settling on once or twice weekly depending how many you feel you need to keep your plants healthy. You'll eventually need the tropica green fert to supply macro nutrients, have a read through the ei article in the tutorials section, look forward to some pics of your setup.

Hi tim, thanks so much, so I have mis read the info and need to switch my lights round! What a plonker.

Ok, water change done approx 50%

A squirt of tropica orange and an hour of co2 BEFORE the lights.

Pics to follow

0QmvRd0l.jpg

Full tank looks good.
Fished all the dead matter out after my change stirred up a little.

SinTPAvl.jpg

Crypts looking very dead

GZJgsmQl.jpg

And this plant looking dead too. (Identification?)

I have increased the co2 to 4bps for 12 hours and light for 10. Let's hope it saves me. Brown leaves mean no co2 right?

Hi Tom,

Crypts are known for having large melts when new. Cut off any leaves that melt and they should settle in after time. Tall plant in last pic looks like giant sagittaria. I had a long line of it in the back of my tank and once it got going it threw runners up all over the tank!!

FTS020314_zps3f334791.jpg

Those damaged leaves won't recover from my experience and will just continue to brown off/die. Remove damaged leaves from the base (slide fingers down damaged leaves and pull from the base whilst holding roots down).

Is that 'clump' at the front glosso? If so it will fare much better by seperating it up into individual plantlets and planting them all close together. It's a lot of work (I planted 200 or so not long back then my corys dug them all up :( lol).

10 hours light sounds over kill. 5 or 6 at start up will help. CO2 2 hours on before lights and off an hour before is a good start. If no livestock in there, crank up the co2 ;)

As noted by Tim you will need complete ferts. EI is cheap and easy and can be got from forum sponsor Aquarium Plant Food UK. There's a discount code there somewhere too :)

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Having taken the advice I have split up my glosso
OFBTLI5l.jpg

Re scaped the tank and picked up some Anubis.
yHukkv8l.jpg

Close up
yJbsC5Ul.jpg

Any thoughts on improving my tank?

The goal is eventually to have lots of shrimp and lots of plants for them to clean.

Anubias needs to be on wood, not in the substrate...

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment is not fit for human consumption. May contain nuts.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Anubias needs to be on wood, not in the substrate...

From Alex - Internet names may vary. Comment is not fit for human consumption. May contain nuts.
Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
As long as the rhizome isn't buried it should fine i've just given a huge anubias away thats been growing in the sand quite happily for 3 years

Yeah i cant see but have the co2 under the outlet so the bubbles get pushed around the tank, yeah lights on for 6hrs for couple of weeks then start ramping up to 8 hrs, i have mine come on at 3 pm so when i get home from work, when I get to work after all this virus is over, i have the lights on all night til 11pm, so co2 on 2 hrs before lights come on and co2 off an hour before lights out. EI fertz are lots cheaper and not as confusing as they sound, you can order a starter kit and it will have full instructions from Aquariumplantfood.uk, although he is shut down at present so an all in one liquid will do you for a while as its a small tank, ramble on aye, good luck man

Back