• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New "shallow" high tech planted setup

on the filter front...
124L tank capacity, less substrate, rocks displacement etc probably around 100L actual water in tank. so 10x turnover means i need a filter turnover of 1000lph correct?

any suggestions as to the best options for the tank.

looking at Eheim 350T (1050lph) plus removed the need for thermometer in tank.
can i use that with an inline co2 reactor?
that filter is around £300 so other options around that price (or cheaper of course) are welcome....

Spraybars produce better distribution than lily pipes. Hopefully Ceg will be along soon to explain it better than I can

Hi James,

I have the 350T- it's great but TBH I'm in two minds about whether any heater is necessary (unless you have some particularly sensitive livestock). The only problem I see without a heater is if your water taps output particularly cold water....

The other filters I can personally recommend are the JBL Cristalprofis. The way you can turn around the hose connectors is great if you have little cabinet space. I kinda miss that with the Eheim.

I'm not bashing everything ADA makes! Like a few others I'm sure, I think their Amazonia is worth it for many reasons, even if you do dose EI.

The other filters I can personally recommend are the JBL Cristalprofis
great filters, id get a 1501 greenline then you have the option to turn it down rather than adding a powerhead if your lacking which you may be due to the length of the tank.

just looked at the 1501 and looks great and cheap too. the only issue is from what i can tell they all come with EU plugs and will need an adaptor. im not keen on that as its in the office and dont really want an adapted plug running 24/7

Hi James,

I have the 350T- it's great but TBH I'm in two minds about whether any heater is necessary (unless you have some particularly sensitive livestock). The only problem I see without a heater is if your water taps output particularly cold water....

The other filters I can personally recommend are the JBL Cristalprofis. The way you can turn around the hose connectors is great if you have little cabinet space. I kinda miss that with the Eheim.

I'm not bashing everything ADA makes! Like a few others I'm sure, I think their Amazonia is worth it for many reasons, even if you do dose EI.
i will need a heater. my office has no running hot water, just a plumbed in boiler like a tea urn type thing. i use that for water changes but its a bit hit and miss what temperature i get.

ok so heres the dilema, i like the jbl 1501 greenline however the tank is shallow remember and wont have any stem plants if my planting vision stays the same as it is currently. if i get the Eheim 350T i wont have a heater in the tank. but the jbl is half the price at £149 for a more powerful filter (1400lph) but with no heater.

theres no point in me spending a lot of money on getting this tank to look great then chucking a dirty great heater in it to spoil the look.

so is there any alternative ways to heat the tank if i use the JBL filter but dont want a heater in the tank.

i dont know if there are any inline heaters or anything like that. bearing in mind i will be running inline co2 already on the outlet (or maybe inlet)

any thoughts on that people??

Hang on a minute - im an idiot!!

its not 140cm long its 101 cm long.

length 101
depth (front to back) 41
height 30

although hydor eth300 initially made me punch the air in joy at a solution i have another issue now.
i would have to go for the 1901 to account for flow loss and that filter will just about fit in my cabinet but i would have to cut holes in the sides of it to put the pipes through (angle would be too sharp if going out the back to the lily pipes at the sides.)

then the issue is the hydor could only be fitted to the tubes which are now in view on the outside of the cabinet to the side of the tank. and its er, massive and butt ugly lol.

so theory is good but falls down again.. hmmm
good thought though, thanks for the input.

hmm only issue is everything visible has to be glass. (just to be difficult - sorry!)
you can get glass spray bars but not sure how good they are - and as im inpatient and ordered the reg, bubble counter and inline reactor yesterday i put lily pipes on the order as well.

ill see how i get on with the lily pipes and can always swop for spray bars later if needed.

the question really is which filter to get.

its looking more and more like the 350T is the best option for aesthetics. im trying really hard to have a tank that looks like the ones in professional pictures (where they remove all the kit before taking pics) but all the time. i dont want to see heaters, spray bars, diffusers etc in the tank. i sit at my desk 8 hours a day and will be able to see it all the time. it would be great if i can create a living work of art that always looks good with no distraction of plastic kit etc.. especially as its open top and braceless, these things are more relevant in that kind of set up IMO.

thanks again for the input and i dont mean to be difficult.[DOUBLEPOST=1406735808][/DOUBLEPOST]
1501 would be fine for 100cm.
hydor heater would still be a very tight fit even with the 1501 (plus the heater will slow the flow.)

im being tight and using the old cabinet stand from the broken Juwel rio180. the tank is being custom made to fit the stand just shallower than the rio180. plus the new tank will sit next to a juwel vision 450 so having the two matching cabinets will look better than having two different stands in the office next to each other.

Clear Perspex/acrylic pipe........

Before they send your order check your lily pipes don't direct the flow down too much otherwise in a shallow tank you will have a spot where the flow removes all the substrate.
The only other lily pipes I found were poppy glass type but as they slow the flow I assumed this would be counter productive. They're the co2 art ones £38 I think for intake and outlet set. Not the end of the world if I need to change them for something else later on. The tank will be hard scaped and run in for three weeks before planting so plenty of time to fiddle with flow etc.

The tank will be hard scaped and run in for three weeks before planting so plenty of time to fiddle with flow etc.
Now why would you do that? These days people plant their tanks from the start. Aquasoil contains ammonia so the plants use it up and there's no need to bother with the traditional weeks and weeks of cycling. If you're gonna have shrimps some people add them after only a few days (Amanos and cherries).

Now why would you do that? These days people plant their tanks from the start. Aquasoil contains ammonia so the plants use it up and there's no need to bother with the traditional weeks and weeks of cycling. If you're gonna have shrimps some people add them after only a few days (Amanos and cherries).

I spoke for ages with james Findlay, green machine about the set up and he said if he's setting up a tank in the shop without the constraints of being filmed he always runs for 3 weeks before planting. The ammonia released from Ada substrate does the fish less cycle but he said to run in for three weeks. 70% water change a week and plant on week 3. Also gives you time to fine tune hard scape etc and avoid any algae blooms. I'll end up spending over £100 easily on plants and he said if I do it this way I should have no losses whereas plant immediately using Ada substrate and I'll lose a fair proportion due to the ammonia / potential algae etc.

I'm in no rush so will follow this method. The tank layout will be similar to crimson Skye seen in his journals so I'm not one to argue if that's how his turned out!

Back