• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fire extinguisher CO2

I say hopefully. On ebay its 39 pounds plus postage of 20. so calculation on 39 minus VAT.

Only problem with getting stuff from there is if any thing goes wrong. My brother's out there for a bit so hopefully get him to so some shopping for me if I need anything in the future :lol:

I can't imagine the co2 tank would be so cheap as to off set the cost of postage compared to getting some over here. Also I can't be bothered waiting for shipping- will want to get it set up as soon as get back!

Aquatic Magic in Malaysia are open to offers on the regulator/solenoid sets. I paid £60 + £35 delivery for two kits, saving £25 odd. I also had discount on other items bought from them, including plants and a diffuser, so its well worth sending them an email beforehand.

I just went down this route today, using a 500g CO2 set from Lunapet (went for the one with a glass diffuser, but dumped it for a rhinox sytle one) and a 2kg FE from Dan.

Now I am VERY clumsy, comes from having a slight tremor. However I managed to do this safely and succesfully. I didn't even get a hiss when I fired the FE, I just noticed that the regulator felt colder after a couple of seconds. I didn't have to tape or strap the handles either, I just put the pin back in the hole that seemed to be there for this very purpose. :lol:

It's now running on my 180 Litre Juwel, with the FE and reg in the cabinet with my filter. Absolutely no chance of it getting knocked over in there.

Best thing about using a set was that it came with a solenoid, and a full 500g bottle for when the FE runs out to give me time to get another or get it refilled.

Great guide.

Cheers.

Ade

Could you post the dimensions of your setup? How tall is it and how wide with all the gubbins fitted. I'd like to see if I can fit it inside my cabinet.

I can't actually get at the cabinet until next water change, as the dog cage is kept in front of the door. :lol:

However if it is any help I have the old style Rio 180 cabinet (2 doors, no middle shelving) and it takes up just under half of the width and has about a foot or so of room left above the top of the regulator. This is going to vary though depending upon the extinguisher used, but I should think that most are of a similar size unless you get one of the tall and thin ones.

Next time I move the dog cage (probably when the new overtank lighting unit arrives) I will get some proper measurements for you.

Ade

Themuleous said:
Glad this is of help to people and poeple are trying it out, FE's are the easiest and cheapest way of getting CO2.

Sam

I set mine up 2 dyas back, 10min job, a lot easierr than i though it would be and i had worries about it blowing up etc but Brilliant and all thanks to you sam :D

This is exactly the information that I've been looking for for the last month. Thank you, thank you, my FE is the same and sitting and waiting and I will take full responsibility for any actions that I may take!

I just bought the aquatic magic solenoid and reg from ebay.

and im hoping to use it on a nice big FE.

This post has been sooo helpful and has put my mind to rest :)

Only thing im a little apprehensive about is the "firing" of the beast!

Sounds well dodgy haha!

Whats the worst that can happen ;) ?

Richie

So i build it all up...

Dont put the reg on too tight but not too loose,

And squeeze the handles haha :bored: Mann im scared and i dont even have the blasted thing yet.

What does firing entale? Is it like a new deodorant haha... when you use it for the first time a little bit of plastic snaps. then every other time you use it its fine? hahaha

Thats what im came to think in my head, weird i know.

So once ive fired it do i let the handles go to the off position again so i dont loose alot of c02? Do i set the reg to anything specific before i fire it? :S

Richie

R1ch13 said:
So i build it all up...

And squeeze the handles haha :bored: Mann im scared and i dont even have the blasted thing yet.

What does firing entale? Is it like a new deodorant haha... when you use it for the first time a little bit of plastic snaps. then every other time you use it its fine? hahaha

So once ive fired it do i let the handles go to the off position again so i dont loose alot of c02? Do i set the reg to anything specific before i fire it? :S

Richie
when i fired mine last week there was just a genlte hissss then nothing. You need to keep the handle closed once youve fired it so put cable ties or duct tape around it once pressed

stuworrall said:
R1ch13 said:
So i build it all up...

Richie
You need to keep the handle closed once youve fired it so put cable ties or duct tape around it once pressed

Or you can just put the pin back in once the handle is closed

Joecoral said:
stuworrall said:
R1ch13 said:
So i build it all up...

Richie
You need to keep the handle closed once youve fired it so put cable ties or duct tape around it once pressed

Or you can just put the pin back in once the handle is closed
mine didnt have that option. pin only fits when the handle is open :(

Im starting to get an understanding of it now thanks to this and multiple PM's from Aaronnorth.

One thing im still not understanding is... do i tape the handles up as soon as i get the little hiss?

When i thought about it at first, I thought id loose alot of c02 by the time i get it back into my house and set up with my tank.

But now that i think about it more, the solenoid wont be plugged in, so c02 shouldnt be lost :bored:

So yeah im completely baffled.

Am i a dumb ass or what??? :lol:

aaronnorth said:
once you get the hiss, close the handles to prevent further loss.

if the solenoid isnt plugged in, you wont get the hiss, so you may need an extension lead or something, i fired mine in the bathroom where the was a shaver socket!

Right im sure ive got it now :p About time haha!

Put reg on FE
Plug in the solenoid
Fire the FE and hope for the short hiss
Once i get the hiss Let the handles go to the off position again
Take it to my tank, install it, set the reg to 1.5 - 2 bar.
Squeeze the handles once again, and use something to keep them shut in the on position?

I hope this is right :)

Because this is what im going to do haha

Thanks a tonne

Richie

Back