• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Blackwater Bayou

Thanks. Had trouble finding something to fit understairs. Got some ordered at height of 1500mm. Shelfs rated at 150kg each but will only have 54l per shelf so should be ok. Might replace the chipboard shelf...

Thanks. Had trouble finding something to fit understairs. Got some ordered at height of 1500mm. Shelfs rated at 150kg each but will only have 54l per shelf so should be ok. Might replace the chipboard shelf...

Some 12/18mm Far Eastern WBP ply will be good.

Thanks for the kind comments.
Interestingly the parent male is still very protective of the fry, keeping the adult females warned away if they get too close.

Just a pic of one of my latest Paro species additions

haqeva7u.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Latest addition, custom made locally. 650 x 450 x 380 optiwhite.
This will be the home for my adopted Paros from Lee S that I'm picking up next week.
urura7e8.jpg

u8age5a7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Short, not very clear video of some of my Paros feeding on springtails.
If you look carefully you can see the springtails on the glass above the water surface.
The great thing is that the springtails don't try to leave the tank, and will stay alive on the glass or the floating plants for days till they are eaten.

Last edited:
I pretty much follow the set up as defined for "pure horticultural charcoal" in this article:
http://www.bugpantry.com/caresheets/temperate-white-springtail-care-sheet/
Since I'm using the tropical collembola/seira species, I've got a couple of sealed food containers about the size of a shoe box which I maintain inside a thermostatically controlled heated propagator.
For food I use a blend of approx 50 parts ready brek with 1 part each of chlorella and spirulina, lightly dusting the culture every couple of days.
I'm using pieces of bark on the top of the charcoal to collect and harvest the springtails from.

Last edited:
Back