• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Omega's Iwagumi - Xibalba

Hello again,

A few weeks ago I got my new tank, after having some conversations with the LFS it seems that the silicone i requested (they have given me a few options for silicone to choose from last year) wasnt suitable for aquariumbuilding. The new should be suitable :)

Anyways, I took the time to do it properly. I bought an extra bag of aquasiol (the LFS didnt want to compensate me for anything, just the tank). Last time i didnt have enough soil and i used stockings filled with lava gravel. This time its all aquasoil. i didnt want to go for a new scape yet because the scape in the old tank was never finished and i thought that creating the old scape would be easier and faster aswell. I was wrong haha. It took me 5 days to recreate the scape. After having some good looks i went on and planted everything. After planting i took a pic for the forum just to find out that wasnt happy with the right side. So i left the left side untouched but redid the the rightside.

So if you see a difference in growth then thats the reason (left side is planted a week ago, right side a day ago.)

I normally use 2 filters but since i had to move the fish to another tank i am using 1 filter (the filter with the external heater is used for the temp fish tank.) So thats why i have a nice internal heater for the next couple of weeks.

For now this will have to do, the substrate line is banking up toward the path and the path itself is too high at the glass. That has already been adjusted. The path is also not 100% perfect but after 2 weeks of scaping/rescaping i wanted to leave it be for now. Once the HC grows back in i should be able to form the path better (by trimming the HC in shape).

Sorry for the crappy phone pic, i've been asking my dad to make some nice pics with his shiny camera but he cant get good pictures (technical camara settings to figure out that i dont know anything about). So hopefully one day i will have some shiny pics aswell.

Thanks for reading and looking!

16maartfinal.jpg

Small update, everything is growing in nicely spotted a bit of hair algae but removed it and didnt came back. Im doing a WC every other day and dose according EI. Co2 is really high atm since no livestock is added yet.

When i get home in the evening i see a tank that has snow in it, when i move closer i see this, its literately everywhere in the tank. It looks nice.

foto1-4.jpg

foto3-4.jpg

Phone pics sorry :(

Hi,

Today i decided to put the simulans and otto's back in the tank, i also did some maintenance. everything growing in nicely i already did some trimming on the HC, the carpet is getting there slowly.

Here is how i do a WC, i connect the hose directly from the tap out of the kitchen, very fast and easy :) Also notice the workmate, it has plastic tank on it. This is were my fish was for the last month. I put a garbage bag in front of it so the wouldn't be so stressed. Obviously the wife was very happy with that the workmate went back to the garage again.

foto1-5.jpg

view from the couch:

foto3-5.jpg

how it is now:

xibalba33.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Hi again,

Small update, Amano shrimps were added in the tank, also my friend emptied his tank and had some moss leftovers, so i added some wheeping moss (not sure if its the real deal) and some fissidens fox. I dont know if it will look nice but i can always remove it. I used small pieces of wood and some fishing line to attach the moss on, i put 3 pieces of fissidens on the main rock and 2 pieces on the largest stone left of the path.

Im not happy with the path at the moment is lacking the feeling of depth a bit. if anyone has any suggesions how to make it look better please let me know.

Just took some random shots with the phone, nothing fancy.

IMG_2287.jpg

IMG_2286.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

IMG_2279.jpg

IMG_2271.jpg

frontal.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2282.jpg
    IMG_2282.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2286.jpg
    IMG_2286.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_2271.jpg
    IMG_2271.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2279.jpg
    IMG_2279.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 79
  • frontal.jpg
    frontal.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 80
  • frontal.jpg
    frontal.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 70
Hi,

A while ago i created a new thread (http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/suggestions-needed-how-to-continue-after-a-vacation.33485/) because of my upcomming holiday and using the method where one doesnt turn on the lights/no co2/ferts or feeding fish. For me it didnt work since i lost a lot of my HC.

I replanted all HC, (what was left of it). Now 6 weeks later the growth hasnt been good. because i didnt want to add my shrimps yet (they like to pull the HC out and play with the substrate) it has been running without cleaners. So the last few weeks i have more algae then HC. The HC still lives but it looks like its suffering from the algae.

So yesterday i added the cleanup crew again only to findout that they can destroy what has been growing for the last 6 weeks. So i decided im going to take the shrimps out again. I also ordered new HC. I'll add 10 pots of it. Its probably more then enough but they cost less when you buy 10 pots in one order.

Hopefully the new HC (in combination with the old HC) can compete better against the algae.

Im not worring about algae. I keep the same regime (lights/feeding/ferts) as i always did so in the end they should dissapear. I do 50% WC everyother day for now.

hopefully better times will come soon again.

No pics yet but i will make some soon.

thanks for reading!

Small update, still no pics haha. So i noticed that the combination of putting back 20 something Amano's back in the tank and adding Easy Carbo (overdose ftw) I almost completely got rid of diatoms and other algae within 24 hours. I was really suprised to see the bright green color of the plants instead of brownish when i got home. Though because the shrimps were also messing with the scape aswell i already took them out again and planted the new HC. Now 6 days later the HC still needs to transform to the submersive state and obviously algae are starting to come back (diatoms included).

So the dillema I have now is, do i leave it as it i? Adding no shrimps so the scape will stay intact but having algae comming back or add the shrimps and have a nice green tank but also fix the scape every evening and keep replanting the HC since the shrimps pull it out of the substrate.
I think i need to endure the algae for the time being, do you guys agree?

Nice tank - really visually arresting:thumbup:.

If you wanted a really robust carpet, you could always put a second, deeper rooted carpeting plant in with your HC. Mini hairgrass has a really strong root structure and the runners will mesh in with the HC nicely. Will spoil the flatness somewhat but personally I like a bit of texture in a lawn.

Back