• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CPR Overflow size

Mark Green

Hi all,

New tank size will be 90*45*45cm (180Liter / 48gallon). so will i need a overflow system following the 10* flow rule. Looking at the following page http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/overflows.html the CS90 with 600gph with one bulk head is fine.

However i would like to have a Herbie overflow, which means i need 2 bulk heads to achieve this. The CS102 1200gph has two 1" bulkheads. Would this be ok for my tank size????

Ive never used a sump before so need all the advice i can get.

Thx

Mark

I'd always advise at least 2 overflows regardless of how you're actually going to achieve it. It only takes a dead fish or a leaf and your 1 overflow is blocked, or at least struggling. Obviously this leads to a damp floor and a pump dying in the sump, possibly your fish too depending on how long until you notice it and where the heater is.

You mentioned the herbie so obviously drilling isn't out of the question, I'd scrap the siphon overflow anyway and just go for a herbie/twin stand pipe type setup. Do it right first time :D

If you're open top/braceless you can go down the x-aqua route. (or simply DIY your own version) Looks a lot neater than having a weir if you need it looking sleek.

I also wouldn't go for 10x through the sump either. I personally aim for anything from 2 to 5 max. As long as the 10x in the tank is keeping detritus suspended, the overflow will pick it up eventually. Just supply the rest of the flow with a couple of hydors or pump with a spraybar for example.

The x-aqua is rated at 2500lph max with (I think) 42mm pipe work. I'm pumping just over 500lph through 42mm and it's basically a dribble so could handle a lot more. Just work out what flow you actually want going through the sump and go from there.

Last edited:
I'd always advise at least 2 overflows regardless of how you're actually going to achieve it. It only takes a dead fish or a leaf and your 1 overflow is blocked, or at least struggling. Obviously this leads to a damp floor and a pump dying in the sump, possibly your fish too depending on how long until you notice it and where the heater is.
You mentioned the herbie so obviously drilling isn't out of the question, I'd scrap the siphon overflow anyway and just go for a herbie/twin stand pipe type setup. Do it right first time
If you're open top/braceless you can go down the x-aqua route. (or simply DIY your own version) Looks a lot neater than having a weir if you need it looking sleek.

will not be drilling into the tank so cant have twin stand pipe or x aqua, i understand the need to have emergancy outlet (Herbie in my case), which is why a weir seems the best way (unless you have another idea ) going forward.

Do it right first time

Will be ordering this tank - sump - cabinet next week, so the more info i can get before then will help me tell them what i need. i really want to get this right first time round like you say, hate making mistakes know which will cost me more money in the furture..

thx NC10:thumbup:

Mark

Back