• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

How to keeps substrates separate?

Hi all. What could I use for keeping my soil and sand separate without mixing them up? I wanted to create sort of beach effect so I don't want plants grow in the sand and cheap sand going into a lot more expensive substrate. I was thinking about some sort of furniture vinyl but have no access to it.

Cheers mate. That's what I was actually reading about somewhere else but I was worrying about them waves. Thanks for advice with ironing. I'll definitely use that. Did you cover edge of it with stones or just covered with substrate? Cheers

just covered with substrate, you want slight blurring of the line between substrates or it will look too clinical. you will get some mixing at the surface but you can always syphon out the top layer of the join and redo every few months when the rear creeps forward over time.

Cheers mate. I already did that. It worked quite well but I'm not sure whether the sand had too small grains or I'm doing something wrong. Whenever I try to spray it with a spray bottle any small drop of water is making a tiny hole in the sand surfice making it look untidy. Will it go back to normall when filled up with water? I tried to use paint brush but it leaves sort of long smudges. Cheers.

Once submerged you can move the substrates to their final positions and they'll stay put unless moved by fish or high flow

Regarding the lawn edging, rather than ironing it's easier to simply dip it in boiling water, see my journal for pics. I used that method today, worked fine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you James. I have already finished my scape but because I didn't use stones on the edge soil is rolling into the sand, which is so frustrating. Before I will fill up my tank with water I wait for plants to grow some roots, hopefully that will help.

Back