• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Omega's Iwagumi - Xibalba

Such a great build! Love the tank stand, your dad has done a great job! The pathway really makes this tank in my opinion, sometimes making it slope towards the front (back higher than front) adds depth? Subscribing because I've got a feeling this isn't the last of this build :)
Cheers for the read,
Matt.

Thanks for the compliment, much appriciated!

About the depth and the path. Its a bit annoying because if you look at the back,the substrate line make has the shape of a horizontal 'S' so the middle where the path is is also the lowest part of the substrate in the back (dont know if i still make sense). So what i was doing the entire time was adding more white sand on the path in the back so when the HC grows it doesnt cover up the path in the back and you can still see the path (creating the depth). Its a bit annoying but if I would have more substrate in the background (in the middle) then the 2 hills on the side wont look as big anymore.

Small update, still no pics haha. So i noticed that the combination of putting back 20 something Amano's back in the tank and adding Easy Carbo (overdose ftw) I almost completely got rid of diatoms and other algae within 24 hours. I was really suprised to see the bright green color of the plants instead of brownish when i got home. Though because the shrimps were also messing with the scape aswell i already took them out again and planted the new HC. Now 6 days later the HC still needs to transform to the submersive state and obviously algae are starting to come back (diatoms included).

So the dillema I have now is, do i leave it as it i? Adding no shrimps so the scape will stay intact but having algae comming back or add the shrimps and have a nice green tank but also fix the scape every evening and keep replanting the HC since the shrimps pull it out of the substrate.
I think i need to endure the algae for the time being, do you guys agree?
Cleanup crew is important IMO maybe add cherry shrimp instead of amanos Untill the hc settles.

thanks for the tips, though im not going to buy cherry shrimps now and remove them after a week or so. The algae is still managable but if it becomes troublesome i will add the amano's again. yesterday i raised my lightfixture so hopefully this will help aswell,

I also started the Gastropex treatment 2 days ago because i have a sh*tload of snails atm. Im going to repeat this treatment in 2 weeks so all the eggs still present now will be hatched by then. Does anyone know how long it will take with gastropex to kill the snails? today is the third day but i can still see them moving around.

That's one of the best sandy paths I've seen. I really like how it moves behind the left side mount. Have tried to re-create that in a small tank (30cm deep) but couldn't get it to look nice. Extremely envious of your HC!

Hi guys, I took some pictures this weekend. Its getting repetitive though so nothing new. New HC is setteling in, no live stock added yet. Algae is under control.

front.jpg

right.jpg

left.jpg

top.jpg

Attachments

• left.jpg
    left.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 79
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 138
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 149
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 94
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 89
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Loving this, to get the path looking more natural could always try a few tiny stones/pebbles to break up the transition between the HC and sand :).

Thanks for the input. I tried it once but i didnt get the right look. Maybe the stones i had where to big. Could try it again though. Thanks for the tip!

I really this scape especially the white sandy path. Pleased to see that you've managed to redo it after the incident. (^^,)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really reminds me of Derbyshire where we go walking.. Quality! I think I'm going to go with HC when I start my scape , 3 weeks to go! Haha. Still one of my favourite scapes on here :)

Really reminds me of Derbyshire where we go walking.. Quality! I think I'm going to go with HC when I start my scape , 3 weeks to go! Haha. Still one of my favourite scapes on here :)

what a fine minimalist scape this is!

I just wish it had tad more hardscape on left.

Thanks for the compliments! About the hardscape on the left, what would you have done differently? because the more i would add on the left side the impact of the rightside would be less. (not saying im going to change it but always open for good ideas :) )

I'm starting quite similar scape with sandy path in between rocks. I used amazonia soil powder and so far I'm about ready to cry. Basicly (even without shrimp) grains of the soil already covered my sandy path and I'm struggling with tidying it up. When I switched my filter on quite a few plants (HC) got pulled out and it doesn't look as I expected. I know it is not an easy scape to maintain so well done for your work. Any tips how to add some sand or substrate while the water is already in? And how to remove soil grains out of tge sand? Cheers and good luck with further work.

I'm starting quite similar scape with sandy path in between rocks. I used amazonia soil powder and so far I'm about ready to cry. Basicly (even without shrimp) grains of the soil already covered my sandy path and I'm struggling with tidying it up. When I switched my filter on quite a few plants (HC) got pulled out and it doesn't look as I expected. I know it is not an easy scape to maintain so well done for your work. Any tips how to add some sand or substrate while the water is already in? And how to remove soil grains out of tge sand? Cheers and good luck with further work.

The waterflow is no issue for me, Maybe your outlet is a bit too much downwards and its disturbing the sand/soil? Maybe you can try putting the HC furher in the soil. I dont think the powder version of teh soil is the reason that HC uproots (so my guess is the combination of your waterflow and how deep you put the hc in the soil).

I sometimes replace parts of the white sand, i just suck it up with a hose, i use bankcards to make sure that i dont suck out the soil. So what I do is I place some bankcards or whatever works for you, to seperate sand and soil. Then holding the bankcard in place i add new sand. I use a seringe to add white sand. Put sand in the seringe then slowly take it underwater while having a finger on the tip of the seringe. Then when you remove your finger from the tip of the seringe, a flow of sand comes out (like sandpainting). You could use the same seringe to suck up sand/soil (removing it).

Also when you are working on the path, turn of the filter so the sand doesnt end up all over the place. Take your time while doing it ;)

the seringe i use:
l_i3%20041200b.jpg

Good luck!

Last edited:
A few days ago i decided to speed up the plant growth, so i lowered the lights by a lot and went psycho on the co2. This is 24 hours after a waterchance, 2 mins after i stopped the filters and powerhead about 10 minutes before lights go out. I also overdose with EI just to be save.

instead of iphone photo's i maybe my first you tube video today, nothing fancy, iphone handheld. Set it on 1080p for better quality. Sorry for the abrupt ending.

thanks!

Last edited:
Back