• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

My wood won't sink

Gilles

So i have this huge ass lump of driftwood, i think it measures about 25x25 at the base and goes into a mountainy shape. Problem is however, it won't sink! It is in a butt outside with a bag of aquarium sand on top (10kg) to keep it submersed below the water surface and has been so for over a week. However today i checked the wood and it came right up after i removed the bag.

What can i do to speed up the process? I have been thinking about hollowing it out, but i am not sure that is a good idea.. Any tips on this? I haven't cooked it yet, and tanines are already leeching in the water colum but maybe cooking will speed the process up??

I had a piece a few years back that took 6 months to sink.
Incidentally in the past i have drilled a few large holes through the core of some pieces reluctant to sink. A bonus was they soon became very popular homes for some of the tank occupants at the time. In addition useful for sticking plants into.

Try placing it in something like a large garden trug and filling it with boiling water. That will help somewhat.

However I think you'll end up screwing/bolting it to a large slab of slate regardless - you may as well start with that :drowning:

Well still no sinking noticed. Got myself a big soup pan and i will be boiling the wood tonight to see if that adds any progress. If not i will be drilling the wood to make it hollow from the inside.

What kind of wood? Kienhout? In my experience some types of wood can take a realy long time. Have you noticed it getting heavier? Might be you can put it in the tank with some stone in it and leave it like that for 1-2 months. If it hasn't taken on any weight i would look into fastening it on to a piece of slate indeed.

@tim; i need a concrete tile of about 10kgs to get it to sink in the current state :p Yes ed, "Kienhout" will post a pic as soon as i get to it :p

My bogwood took three or four weeks to sink. It's not unusual.

Try draining it and refilling with very hot water if you can, it'll speed things a little if you do that each day.

Back