• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch but NOT...

After finally getting rid of the brown and brush algae I felt that it was time for some more plants in my planted tank so I am trying a more or less Dutch style. Most plants in the new scape come from the old one, just rearranged every thing. Did put new substrate in it as the old one was a year old and totally crumbled to dust.
Started with multiple layouts for the spider wood, ended up with the one I liked and which would give me line for some streets.
IMG_1332kleiner_zps3ab41c45.jpg

Just 1 minute after planting. I will probably move some plants around and need to add some more here and there, but it filled out nicely so far.

What did you do end the brown algae?
Actually not much, tried to get a better current/flow and just focused on growing healthy plants, added some more Otos (although I don't think they did clean all my Diantoms) and added some more fast growing plants which where allowed the shade the tank a little.

One more day messing about and getting some plants...not much to get at the moment, the plants suffer from the heat (33 Celsius and some days even more) and in the shops they don't use chillers for their plant displays. Just got a fast grower to fill in an empty spot in the back, still need something for the midground.....
IMG_1339kleiner_zps91fa157e.jpg

IMG_1338kleiner_zpsed76dd9d.jpg

maybe just a rock with moss??...

Do you use fan cooler to drop temp down a bit?
I have a chiller. I can see from my other tank that the only "plants" that thrive in this temperature are algae. This high temp. gasses off CO2 to fast too.
I need to find plants that grow well even with this high temp. for my 40 liter tank, cuase that one looks terrible now....:(

Thanks for liking it and comments ......
I do hope I solved all my algae problems from the previous setup...so far it is looking good, but maybe to early to tell. Before I was fighting with brown algae and some red algae which at the end I got under control and even got rid of, which is why I dared to do this setup and I am amazed in how fast plants are already growing even though some of them are fast growers.

Week to week it's doing great so far, I just wasn't happy with some parts so I changed a bit here and there also some plants are being eaten, or atleast the young growth of it is nipped off, those I probably have to change also. I suspect the Cherry barbs of this nipping, they always nip my hand or arm whenever I'm in the tank.
2014-08-12201716kleiner_zps7623f8cc.jpg

That looks really good. Shames my attempt which I've been trying for more than a year without success. I think my tank is a similar size 120 x 50 x 50 so can I ask how much CO2 are you injecting and how? I assumed its an inline thing, do you have 2 units for both filter outlets or just one?

Can yo tell me what dimensions the tank has and how many cm is your light above the watersurface? How many bulbs does the unit have?
The unit is about 30 cm above the tank and has 4 T5 bulbs, but only 2 running for 3 hours and 15 than the other 2 will take over for the same hours. Tank is 120cm x 45cm high x 55cm.

how much CO2 are you injecting and how? I assumed its an inline thing, do you have 2 units for both filter outlets or just one?
I run two bottles CO2 inject with 2 inline atomisers and I use alot (KH=5 and pH drop from 7.2 to 6.1). I squeezed the outlets (as you would do with a garden hose) so to get a stronger current and aiming them towards the front glass.

The unit is about 30 cm above the tank and has 4 T5 bulbs, but only 2 running for 3 hours and 15 than the other 2 will take over for the same hours. Tank is 120cm x 45cm high x 55cm.

Thanks for the info, i hang my lights higher yesterday so that made me curious about your distance from the surface, thanks!. Why are you using a fixture with 4 bulbs if you only use 2 bulbs simultaneously? Is there an advantage? Im just wondering :).

Back