• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

question on optiwhite glass

James Flexton

Hi all,

i have just taken delivery of my new tank. should be optiwhite glass front and both sides, normal glass back panel and painted black on the back.

well it wasnt painted so i sent it back to be sorted but also noticed all 4 panes are the same type of glass.

question is have they used 4 opti white panes (bonus) or 4 standard float glass...

looking at the edges of the glass they have a green tinge.

i thought optiwhite glass would have had clear edges and no green to be seen at all.

i am at a crossroads of letting it slip that they forgot to paint it and just being patient and waiting a couple of days to redeliver. or throwing my toys out of the pram if they have tried to stitch me up and make the whole thing out of normal glass and charging me for optiwhite.

ive never seen an optiwhite glass tank in person so have no comparisson to make an informed deduction.

help please.....

cheers

My optiwhite looks like this end on
004_zps966dbb83.jpg
10mm thickness and 450mm depth
Hope this helps

yeah that helps. ive just heard back from the company now the driver has got back with the tank and they assure me its all optiwhite and they will bring a pane of normal glass to compare it to when redelivering.
however yours looks blue ish and mine was green. oh well, whatever... i cant really argue the toss with them and will have to trust them i suppose.

It could be a different brand optiwhite is the brand name for pilkington's low iron glass. It's also only low iron so I suppose it's possible for it to still be a touch green end on.
I have no idea what brand glass my tank is.

yeah its the pilkington glass.
its just that on the suppliers website they have pictures of normal vs optiwhite next to each other. normal has green edges, optiwhite is clear.

unless the photoshopped marketing pictures are backfiring in this instance...

whatever.. i guess theres not much i can do unless i want to wait another 8 weeks and spend loads of money on a different tank.

seeing as i have a pile of kit all laid out ready to set up i will just take what im given and hope im not being diddled..

cheers Ollie.

It may also depend on the glass thickness. I have 20L tank with 4mm glass - and the edges have very clear slightly yellow color, no green/blue, and 60L tank with 6mm glass and it has blue with a-bit-green color. I found there are different classes of optiwhite glass: some of them called extraclear (lowe quality I suppose).

10mm glass on mine, order confirmation from supplier reads as follows.

Tropical Tank 1010 x 300 x 410 (length x height x width)
10mm glass
Braceless
Black background
Optiwhite front and both sides
Clear silicone

i only saw it briefly when they put it on the stand on top of the ugly grey colour polystyrene slab and looking from above down the edges it was unmistakeably light green in colour.
i only saw it for 2 minutes as when i realised they had forgotten to pain the back black i sent the driver off with it again to paint and redeliver. he was adament it was the correct glass and so was the supplier when he called me half hour later when the driver returned. i am just a little dubious. i have a Juwel vision 450 right next to it and the glass looks the same colour.

supplier said the problem is with optiwhite it is so clear it picks up any other colours in the room and makes the glass appear that colour.
not being funny but its in my office. grey carpet, cream walls, black stand, grey polystyrene sheet and normal office tube lighting.

the only green thing in here is the cup of tea on my desk...

however i cant really argue. me saying it isnt right, them saying it is. no its not, yes it is blah blah. there is no way i can tell really.

as i said they are bringing a normal pane when they redeliver to compare hopefully that will clear things up.
im probably being extra sensitive as i have looked forward to and planned to set up this tank for weeks based on delivery today. everythings ready and i want my damn tank lol

briefly considered painting it myself but decided that would end in disaster. probably best.[DOUBLEPOST=1408022213][/DOUBLEPOST]
I have a tank with Opti-white front and the glass is definitely clear/blue compared to the rest which is green.

Who did you order it from ?

i will withhold that for now in case i am wrong. i dont want to give bad press to a company if its unwarranted.
ill update this thread monday when it comes back. lets hope they dont conveniently forget the other pane for the comparison...

Given what you have said so far I think I know. Sounds like where I got mine. I have 10mm glass. I'll try and get a photo for you later.

I have to say that it seems more likely it is all normal glass rather than Opti-White but as you say you can see when they bring it back. Hopefully it is right as it is frustrating having to wait and then it not be right.

Last edited:
thanks mate a pic would be great if its the same mm

cheers

thanks nathaniel, i feel better now. that pic looks very similar to mine in terms of edge colour. the same green tinge i saw this afternoon with mine. greeny blue i suppose rather than green (im a man and talk in primary colours only my wife would call it aqua blue or something probably which is more accurate..)

yeah, depends hugely on light also, mine can flick between green and blue depending on the surrounding light source.

Thanks guys that all helps loads. I think I've fallen into a trap expecting the glass to be totally clear without any tinge of colour. To some that may sound daft but when you've never seen it before if you are expecting clear non green tinged glass and you see what I saw today you think something's up.. It is certainly not dark green as Alexander said so I'm now happy it's not plain float glass. Hopefully this thread will be useful for future first time optiwhite tank buyers.

Back