• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech Cube

nickmcmechan

So, this might end up being a journal, but I setting up my new tank this weekend

It's a 40cm cube, the aquaone aquanano 55.

I've placed my order with The Green Machine which is

1 xADA Aqua Soil Powder Amazonia (9 Litre)

4 xTropica 1-2-Grow Eleocharis sp. 'mini'

1 xSumatra Drift Root Wood Nano SUM24

3 xTropica 1-2-Grow Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'

1 xSumatra Drift Root Wood Nano SUD51

5 xSeiryu Stone (Per Kg) -

2 xLindernia rotundifolia - £11.98[DOUBLEPOST=1407916182][/DOUBLEPOST]These are the bits of wood

imagejpg1-2.jpg

I think may cut this in two and, together with one below, have three pieces emerging from the substrate with the moss attached

imagejpg1-3.jpg

The ADA will cap john innes number 3 soil, I think I may mineralise the soil (by baking). Maybe I'm just playing safe but then ADA will leach Ammonium, so I don't want excess that could burn the plants (think I'm right in saying levels above 20ppm aren't good for plants?). Probably won't make a difference but will make me feel better!!! And, I'll be using filter media as well as water from my existing tanks anyway.

I think I've ordered more stones and DHG than I could possibly use for this tank but I think I'll have a play with setting up an Iwagumi in the Fluval Edge 23l that I was going to break down. I've asked TGM to send me appropriate stones.

Looking forward to the weekend!

Last edited:
Hello nick
Just wanted to say the aquanano tank is by far the best. Nice and neat and good to look at. I also have a aquanano 40 and 30 low tech.

To me honest if you planing to moving plants around i would just add the soil and not the john in.
Im using ada soil only with no fert or carbon just water change once a month really simple.

Other than that be cool to see how your tank looks like.

cheers
Ryan
20140711_215100.jpg

Back