• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'The Full Monty' Has Left The Building last photos

Discus do alright in cooler waters too (the Amazon rivers they come from drops to 24-26'C at night). They just won't have the high metabolism which causes them to grow into 12 inch platters.

Hi Red, Wow Now i can see what you have in mind :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: That is going to look wonderful in your tank :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks I hope so too...[DOUBLEPOST=1408008522][/DOUBLEPOST]
If you also want to get some Tetras or other smaller fish like that in your tank I would suggest to get those first, let them grow a bit larger before adding Discus. All I know (from my brother who keeps Discus for years) is that they like it hot (28-30 Celcius) and some plants we often use don't like it that hot, so watch out that you don't end up with melting plants.

Hi Martin, I agree, I have got my eye on some Rummy nose Tetras like the ones in the picture, and some dwarf pearl neon's, ottocinclus, and that's it. Plants are not going to be too high I want to keep the free swimming space for the discus to shoal nicely...[DOUBLEPOST=1408008614][/DOUBLEPOST]
Discus do alright in cooler waters too (the Amazon rivers they come from drops to 24-26'C at night). They just won't have the high metabolism which causes them to grow into 12 inch platters.

Hi you sound like you have a lot of experience - knowledge of discus...standby for some questions later on...

Thanks...

Actually I don't have that much knowledge and experience with discus. I've just kept one alive for a few years now (originally had 4 but 2 died from bullying, then the aggressor also died) and provided you don't intend to grow them into huge platters, you're usually fine. They do fine in CO2 but they won't thrive wonderfully, if that makes sense. In fact, when I bought them it was about 3.5 inches. Now, about 2 years later, it's only grown an inch to 4.5 inches. I feed them with frozen bloodworms once a day.

DSC03910_zps7e1327c0.jpg

I will of course help you in any way I can.

Looking good, like the humour throughout. I would have used longer pieces of wood with maybe moss and trident on them. I dont understand your reasons for not planting straight away before you filled the tank with water. Even your mate Jim does that in his videos.

To be fair I just bought a load of substrate from TGM for a new setup and Jim advised to hold off on planting for 3 weeks 70% water change a week until week 3 to get the ammonia down. He said he uses this method when he's not being filmed and not under pressure to chuck it all together quickly. He said he usually loses a fair percentage of plants when he fills straight away and then replaces them later. Which is best avoided if possible for obvious financial reasons.

Fantastic journal. I'm setting my new tank up tomorrow with Ada substrate and eheim 350t etc. similar setup to you just smaller. I've subscribed. Keep up the good work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi there ;]

This thread remains me lots of things happening in my home :D

Good one :)

What? Are you knocking walls down as well ha ha:D

Well you have probably all been wondering what's been going on with no new updates for two weeks:(

Simple answer...been away on holiday but didn't want to announce it to the whole world:sorry:

Five days in Hong Kong, two days in Bangkok and seven days in Koh Samui Thailand...Big anniversary and thought my wife deserved some spoiling after putting up with me for all these years...Only got back last night after fifteen hours of flights and no luggage at Manchester Airport:mad: Hopefully off to collect it in a minute if I get the phone call to say it has arrived...

Got some interesting photographs from Tung Choi Street in Mong Kok in Kowloon...lots of photos and updates to come...

Ammonia levels in the tank this morning absolute zero, no algae...ready to rock and roll with the planting next weekend!!

Steve

Looking good, like the humour throughout. I would have used longer pieces of wood with maybe moss and trident on them. I dont understand your reasons for not planting straight away before you filled the tank with water. Even your mate Jim does that in his videos.

Hi Brian,

Latest post should explain why no planting done yet...didn't want to do it, rush it and then come back to a soup of mushy plants and algae...hope that explains everything...updates to come soon...

Last edited:
Like I said, she is very patient with me...she did some shopping around Temple Street Market while I looked along 'Tung Choi Street' otherwise known as Fish Street, discus galore and plants, mosses etc at 30 Hong Kong Dollars per piece, so roughly £2.50, it was like being a kid in sweet shop;)

If I could I would have brought a suitcase full back with me....

Last edited:
Just a few photos of the mosses on sale in Tung Choi Street Mong Kok Kowloon side...

Ranging from £2.50 a piece:wideyed:

DSC02091_zps3a6a8785.jpg

DSC02089_zps42ba3ee8.jpg

DSC01998_zps7178929f.jpg

DSC01997_zpsed7f714e.jpg

Some bits and bobs I bought myself for next to nothing...

DSC02044_zpsd156b7a2.jpg

Disappointing to see these discus in small bags on hooks, prices ranging from about 50 dollars upwards...£4.50

DSC02006_zps02b857d3.jpg

DSC02005-Copy_zps5219000f.jpg

Some pretty mean aquascaping going on in some of the shops with plants in abundance...

DSC02003_zpsbdcd15a3.jpg

DSC02001-Copy_zps6551388c.jpg

DSC02000-Copy_zpsc4538fac.jpg

Some of the rock they are using...

DSC02085_zps1ac2e922.jpg

DSC02083_zps9ede648a.jpg

DSC02084_zps1646ac94.jpg

DSC02010_zps49907d2a.jpg

:meh::meh: jealous..

Back to work next week...plants will ready for next weekend...

Amazing, thanks for sharing that with us! I find it astonishing at how cheap things are there compared to here! Quantity, quality, selection. It's like dreamland!

Amazing, thanks for sharing that with us! I find it astonishing at how cheap things are there compared to here! Quantity, quality, selection. It's like dreamland!

You are not wrong! I asked one of the guys in one of the shops if they could deliver in bulk to the UK but it all seemed a bit complicated...it hasn't stopped me thinking about it though!

Unpacked my goodies from Hong Kong last night...hopefully putting them to good use in a week or two...

Decided to take Iain Sutherland's advice and postpone the planting until I have played around with the hardscape a bit more...I will only get one chance to get this right...it will be too late once its planted...

This will involve draining the tank, a large amount of which will be into a 200 litre drum kept alongside the tank so I can keep the filters running during this process...

I am going to rejig the sand arrangement to increase the planting area and try a rock wall using Seyria stone...I took some of it to a stone cutter yesterday...I am intending to use aquarium silicone to glue the pieces to the back wall to the left of the dry weir...then plant mosses and smaller plants into the rock wall...

Any alternative suggestions to using aquarium silicone appreciated...

Thanks,

Steve.

Back